Author Topic: Jason M's First Emmental (Swiss)  (Read 2601 times)

Jason M

Jason M's First Emmental (Swiss)
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:05:08 AM »
So my first attempt at making a traditional Swiss and I messed up the steps!  I was following the recipe in Ricki Carrol's book.  First step was bring the milk to 90 degrees and add the thermophilic DS.   I did that.  Second step was add the Proprionic Shermanii and let sit for 10 minutes.  Then add rennet.  I skipped the Proprionic Shermanii and realized it when I was pouring in the rennet solution!

So I quickly pitched the Proprionic Shermanii and finished the process.  Right now it's sitting in my sink for the first press.  So my question is, does anyone know what I'm going to end up with?  This is my second cheese.  My first was a farmhouse cheddar and so far that one is waxed and aging well. 

So am I sitting on a lump of hard milk or will this end up being a cheese?  Thanks for the help!  This forum rocks!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:41:12 AM by Jason M »

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Jason M's First Emmental (Swiss)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:15:48 AM »
The Propionic doesn't come into play until you are into the room temperature swelling phase so everything will be fine. However, be sure that you read aging directions carefully in the recipe and read everything that you can find in the forum. Emmental is NOT a beginner cheese.

Jason M

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:27:04 AM »
THANKS!  I was thinking I wouldn't have an issue since all I've read says it doesn't kick in for a week or so.  I'm setting up my fridge cave tomorrow to get this one at the right temp.  My basement is OK for the cheddar but the directions I've seen for the Swiss calls for a little cooler temp.

And of course this isn't a beginner cheese.... I always jump in with both feet holding a cement block!  I appreciate the help Sailor.  I've been reading the posts in the RENNET COAGULATED - Hard Cooked (Swiss) forum.  I'm sure they will help.  I did notice you mentioned keeping the brine at a lower salinity.  The recipe I have calls for 2lbs salt to 1 gallon water for 12 hours.  I did a 2 gallon batch with a fresh, high butterfat, cream on top pasteurized milk.  Is this brine ok or would you recommend knocking down the salt content of the water?

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
So my first attempt at making a traditional Swiss and I messed up the steps!  I was following the recipe in Ricki Carrol's book.  First step was bring the milk to 90 degrees and add the thermophilic DS.   I did that.  Second step was add the Proprionic Shermanii and let sit for 10 minutes.  Then add rennet.  I skipped the Proprionic Shermanii and realized it when I was pouring in the rennet solution!

So I quickly pitched the Proprionic Shermanii and finished the process.  Right now it's sitting in my sink for the first press.  So my question is, does anyone know what I'm going to end up with?  This is my second cheese.  My first was a farmhouse cheddar and so far that one is waxed and aging well. 

So am I sitting on a lump of hard milk or will this end up being a cheese?  Thanks for the help!  This forum rocks!!!
[/color]

I agree with Sailor-the cheese will probably be alright. Texturally, it will be interesting though if you haven't got the proprionic bacteria well mixed in as well. As you said you added after the rennet.

Jason M

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
Good deal!  I think texturally it will be ok.  I added it the same time I added the rennet and I made sure I diluted it and mixed it quickly.  I actually thought of it about 5 seconds after spreading the rennet over through my strainer over the pot.  That was NOT a good feeling!

Any ideas on the brine?  I start that tonight when I get home.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
Emmental (Swiss) is NOT a high butterfat cheese. In fact, just the opposite. That is actually going to work against you by making a harder, inflexible rind. This greatly reduces your chances of getting any significant eyes.

For this one, I would just follow the brining instruction in RC's recipe and hope for the best.

You get an "A" for enthusiasm but I don't believe in jumping in with both feet until you have a good handle on the basics. Cheese tends to "sink" if you don't pay attention to detail and understand what's going on at every step along the way. Making a good cheese is not about blindly following a recipe. Give yourself a chance to learn by making lots of easier cheeses first.

Jason M

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Thanks again!  Yeah, I forgot to mention I let the milk sit in the fridge for a week and skimmed the cream before starting so the butterfat should be much lower on this batch.

Thanks for the advice!  I'll stick with the cheddar's for a few batches.  I want to experiment a lot.  The local micro-dairy I buy my milk from makes artisan cheeses and I'm very interested in the process.  I'm reading more and more every day to figure it out! 

My problem is I'm not into the soft cheeses much.  I skipped over Mozzarella and the like because of that.  There's something about me that hates starting at the beginning!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:58 AM »
You should try to use milk that is as fresh as possible. After sitting around for a week, any bacteria in the milk will have multiplied (even at frig temps) and will alter the makeup of your cheese.

I'f you're not into soft cheeses there are still lots of other satisfying cheeses that you can experiment with. Mozzarella may not be your cup of tea but you can always make it and give it to your friends. Mozz will teach you the relationships between pH and cheese texture. Or take it to the next step and make Provolone. Try a Gouda so you can learn what "washed curd" is all about. Make a Parmesan and hide it from yourself. Do you have the patience to wait a year so the cheese has time to age properly? Probably the toughest lesson to learn.

Jason M

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
Sailor,

Thanks for the help and the info.  The Swiss is looking good so far.  it's been a week on the counter in the kitchen as per the recipe and it's started to bulge so I'm assuming the chemical process is started to expand the cheese and make the holes!  We'll see!  The recipe says to keep it in a humid room with a temp near 70 degrees F for 2 to 3 week until it shows signs of the bulge.  Should I keep it out the whole time?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:30:47 AM »
Yep. Keep it out the whole time. (I assume that you put it into your cave for a cool phase first.)

Jason M

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:04 AM »
Thanks Sailor.  Yes I did.  Actually put it in a tupperware container on a rack with a soaked cheesecloth under it for the humidity then in my produce drawer (separate temp control so it was at 45 degrees F).  I'm just working on the cave this week.  Turning an old college cabinet height fridge to a cave.