Author Topic: This will be my Goutaler  (Read 5964 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
This will be my Goutaler
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:14:11 AM »
Today I bought 1 gallon of Dungeness Valley raw milk and 3 gallons of 2% Darigold milk for my anticipated early Friday morning Goutaler make.

"Jarlsberg is the prototype of a relatively new cheese type, “Goutaler” cheeses, inspired both by Gouda (for its smooth texture) and Emmenthaler (for its flavor). Modeled after Emmenthaler, Jarlsberg is produced through less labor-intensive and time-consuming methods; it is aged for a briefer period, and is moister as a result. Other Goutaler cheeses include Alpsberg and Felsberg from Germany, and Leerdamer from the Netherlands."

The following cultures are defined for Jarlsberg production as per the attachment:

* (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
    * (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
    * (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
    * (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

They are also defined in Flora Danica and Aromatic B; also in MM100 + LM57. What is the difference in these cultures? What would be an optimal choice for my Goutaler?

I will be adding propioni bacteria as well.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:51:09 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: This will be my Goutaler
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »
What is the difference in these cultures? What would be an optimal choice for my Goutaler?
Francois or linuxboy?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »
Strains and ratios differ. It's all about the historicity and sources and how the cultures were used. Most of the cultures in use today were obtained from commercial plants. And even specialty adjuncts that culture houses carry typically originally came from factories who used bulk culture methods to propagate and use.

Any of those options would work. You will get slightly different flavor profiles and pH curves with each.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks, I'll toss a coin.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:37:14 AM »
It came out of the press today and into the whey-brine. Tomorrow morning...out of the brine and into the cave for a little cool dry-time. It's going to be crowded in there. I still have the Tomme developing rind in there from last week.

I've got to start thinking about more cave capacity.  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
Boofer -

I have found that many of these cross breed cheeses are cooked like one (for texture)with ingredients of another (for flavor). This may or may not help you down the path you seek but - if it tastes like a jarlsburg with the texture of a gouda use the Jalrsburg ingredients and the make of a gouda. If it has eyes add the ripening of a jarlsburg to your process. Does this make sense to you? This is how I have made several of these "new" cross breed cheeses on the market and it seems to work.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
Debi -  Thanks, I started initially with the Jarlsberg recipe you had and gradually have been trying to massage the mix and technique to derive the flavor and texture I'm looking for. There are two models I'm trying to emulate and I've attached their photos. They are two different styles to be sure, but I really love them both.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
Number 3 & 4 are coming along nicely. It would be good to see some evidence of eye formation (swelling) soon. Number 3 has been at room temp now for 5 going on 6 weeks. Not a problem. I'll be patient. The rind is really becoming translucent. Pretty neat.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
I had grabbed the two attached docs sometime in the past, but through the miracle of modern computing, lost them in the morass of data & detritus on my laptop. I have resurrected them and will be trying to apply the knowledge contained within them in future Goutaler or Swiss efforts.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
This page is extracted from a book I received for Christmas, The Cheese Bible by Christian Teubner. It underscores the establishment of Goutaler as the style derived from Gouda and Emmental.

My goal is to see one of my cheeses look remotely close to the one in the photo (a Leerdammer).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
Yesterday I sealed up my Goutaler #1. It had been showing what looked like small bubbles under the rind. The rind was somewhat translucent. The cheese had been out "developing eyes" since November 23rd. Six weeks and five days! Now, having sealed it, I wait until perhaps July 4th before sampling.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

zenith1

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Hey Boofer I have read some about this cheese and it looks intriguing. Yours looks great, I'm very interested in the flavor profile that you will end up with.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
Formerly known as my Jarlsberg #4, this cheese rightfully needs to go by Goutaler #2. The cheese is some 5 weeks into the eye development and I'm a little dejected. I don't see any swelling. I believe that I'll go ahead and vacuum seal this after this latest coat of EVOO soaks in (probably later today). I did have a case with a Beaufort that swelled after being sealed. So maybe that will happen with aging on this cheese.

Another interesting point which builds a case for larger cheese wheels...this cheese is pretty flat. It is perhaps half its original height. I have little doubt that the rind will be substantial. The temperature and humidity for the eye development have hovered around 66-70F and 94%RH. I have wiped every second or third day with a brine, dried, and coated with EVOO.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
I went ahead and dried the remaining EVOO off the wheel last night and vacuum sealed it. Waiting the next six months before I sample it will be difficult. These efforts are always a labor of love and there is always a level of anxious anticipation. Curiosity is also in high profile. How did this make go? Is the taste and texture on point or does something need to be tweaked to improve the cheese? What helpful advice on this forum did I employ and what did I ignore or forget? My note-taking has improved as have my powers of observation with regard to my process and technique.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
Okay, time to taste. It has been 3 months which is allegedly the optimal ripening period for this style.

The wheel has been vacuum-sealed since January and when I opened the bag the rind adhered slightly to the inside of the bag. Since I had coated/sealed the rind with EVOO that kind of makes sense. No real harm done.

Slicing it in half revealed numerous very small eyes. It didn't really swell very much. My theory is that acid and salt will inhibit the Propionic bacteria. My #3 has addressed those thoughts. The cheese sliced well and maintained its slice integrity fairly well. Not really pliable/rubbery which is what I am striving for. The taste, while salty for the style, was not exceptionally so. Very edible. Very slight acidity in the background which is also not true to the style. Yeesh!   ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!