Author Topic: Lysol Smell how to eradicate..help.  (Read 14263 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Lysol Smell how to eradicate..help.
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:15 AM »
I cleaned my cheese cave with lysol and it still smells after a few days of airing it out. I washed it down with water and still I smell a hint of it. Any suggestions?

Tea

Re: Lysol Smell how to eradicate..help.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »
Vanilla extract/essence on a damp cloth is traditionally used to get rid of bad fridge smells.  Might be worth a try.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »
Thanks, I also thought maybe a solution of water and baking soda (arm and hammer).

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:22:50 AM »
I realized it's so cold in the garage that the smell won't burn off. I put a small space heater on it, not hot just warm and that seemed to do the trick. I'll close it up tomorrow and then smell later in the day.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
Have you got rid of the smell yet?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »
No, I was born with that....OH the refrigerator smell...LOL I think. As I said I think it was too cold for anything clinging to the surface to evaporate. SO I put a small box heater on low blowing on it for a few hours, then kept just the fan on for the night. I close the door to the frig this morning and will see in a while if it still smells.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
I don't know which is worse, Lysol or smelly ock Limburger tasting cheese!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:37:53 AM »
It's a lot better but I can still smell a hint of it. I'm going to use a baking soda wash right now and see if that help.

Tea

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
Baking soda is great for cleaning and removing stains, but I didn't know that it also removed smells.  I am interested to know how effective it has been.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:58:38 AM »
Ok so I was lazy last night, I actually am going to right now after typing this post wash it down with baking soda and water. I figure if it's good enough to keep in the frig to remove smells than it's probably pretty neutral and should help eliminate the odor.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:10 AM »
I diluted some arm and hammer in warm water and washed the hell out of the frig. Now that it's dried there is a nice white powder everywhere, which is good, so I can see it got everywhere. Tomorrow I will wipe it down with water and see what happens.

I have lots of hobbies that deal with refrigeration, cooling and heating so I'm well aware of the intricacies of these devices. First off almost all refrigerators smell plasticy or funny when they're not on. So that goes without saying that the cold has a cloying effect on smells and odors, which in turn makes mild smells inconciquential to the grand scheme of things. I'm sure if I turned the frig on that I wouldn't smell anything, but I'm anal I want no hint of anything. Let's say I age a new cheese and there's an off taste 3 months down the road I want to be able to say with conviction that it wasn't the aging enviornment.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 03:58:12 AM »
So I did the wash last night and it made everything chalky when it dried. Today I washed it down with just water. Once all the water was dry I closed it up and left it for hours. I just smelled it and it doesn't smell like Lysol but more of a musty smell, which I can live with. I just turned it on and we'll see what it smells like when it's cold.

Remeber any of you amatuer refrigerator nuts out there don't be alarmed but all refrigerators that are closed and not on will smell weird.

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
Good news, good luck with your new Cheese Cave!

wharris

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »
Have you thought about getting a big box of the baking soda, opening it up,  and just leaving it inside the fridge?  I might be inclinded to pour it into a small tupperware container for more surface area.

I will be doing something similar with my cheese cave.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
I'll try that, but Wayne, don't lysol your cheese cave.