Author Topic: Vat - Suspending In Water Bath  (Read 3974 times)

Bishop

Vat - Suspending In Water Bath
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
Bought this today for $35 at the Daylesford farmers market, its a Malleys Electric Boiler I worked out its a 53 Litre or 14 Gallon drum and stands about 1 metre/3 feet high.  Does anybody have any thoughts what size pot would be ideal to suspend in the boilers and what would be the ideal method of suspension?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:03:20 AM by Bishop »

Cheese Head

Re: Vat - Suspending In Water Bath
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:03:55 AM »
Nice find, should make a great water bath for a tall stockpot shaped vat, especially with that drain!

The vat will float if you partially fill with water first, then will sink as you fill it with milk. Even then the weight of the stockpot shouldn't be too great and should be able to rest it on the stockpot handles if they are robust.

I don't know what stores you can order from in Oz but I ordered my heavy duty 38 liter stockpot vat with heavy duty handles from a store in US called Instawares.com, (just surf to Kitchen > Cookware > Stockpots > Stainless Steel) may give you some ideas on sizes available to fill that barrel.

I can lift the whole pot from the two handles with ~32 liters in it and the handles were rock solid (although I was a little wobbly :o).

Bishop

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
Thanks for the ideas John, when I purchased the Boiler I didn't think too hard about all the up-sizing and additional odds and bods (containers, hoops, Bigger Pot etc) I would need at the time.  So I now have all sorts of additional gear, I just have to get the boss (AKA wife) to agree on cheese making session this weekend.  We get the Monday and Tuesday off as public holidays because Christmas and boxing day fall on a weekend  :)  might have to get stuck into a session then. 

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:10 PM »
That is a great find Bishop. What kind of control are you going to use to regulate temperature? You can also look for larger stockpots here http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/stockpots.html . Search the message boards for Wayne's  setup and you will see how he handles a large milk vat.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
OMG, I so envy that find!  I'd offer you twice as much as what you paid.  ;)

Bishop

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
That is a great find Bishop. What kind of control are you going to use to regulate temperature? You can also look for larger stockpots here http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/stockpots.html . Search the message boards for Wayne's  setup and you will see how he handles a large milk vat.

WOW some of cheapest pots I've seen round, thanks for the links Guys! I currently have a 15Lt pot, buts a little small for the 50Lt boiler, didn't think of the free floating idea thanks John, I may need to do just that as the pot handles narrowly fit in the boiler and I was unsure how to suspend it.  Although I have tested the boiler I haven't used it to make cheese yet, it is a very aggressive boiler so managing the temp will be a challenge, I hope to get a fridge thermostat for my cave, perhaps i could get one with the appropriate temp range for the boiler?

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
OMG, I so envy that find!  I'd offer you twice as much as what you paid.  ;)

Hi smilingcalico, I'll keep my eyes open for another one for you, postage may be interesting if your not from round here though.  I will mention the guy that sold me the boiler tried to sell 2 fox skins with it as a package deal???, I said he would need to pay me $35, if he wanted me to take the skins! >:D  So would you be looking for just a boiler or the exotic taxidermy special? Lol.

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
I'm not opposed to the fox skins.  I'm in Oregon, where are you?

Bishop

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 03:50:08 AM »
Victoria Australia  :(

smilingcalico

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 05:10:24 AM »
Thanks anyway, I could probably find something brand new for what it'd cost to ship!  Hmm, but maybe I could visit, and bring it back as a carry on  ;) , a trip would make it worth it!