Author Topic: My new cheese press.  (Read 6507 times)

Tea

My new cheese press.
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
I was looking around a website the other day for some new brewing equipement, and discovered a cheese press!!  It seems that the owners wife makes cheese, so they supply these presses.  So he did me a deal and I purchased one.  Arrived yesterday.
Have yet to use it, but I think I should be able to press about a 3-4kg maybe more cheese.  Only thing is it is screwed down, so I won't be able to use a weighted press.  So this press will not be good for cheeses that require 20 or so kgs added.
Anyway, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Tea

Re: My new cheese press.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:30:33 AM »
Well I just read the instructions, haha, and and this press does press in weight increments.  So many turns of the handle puts so much weight on the cheese, and will press upto 50lb, so this is better than I thought.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
Looks nice Tea, but foregive me but doesn't putting turns apply that weight only initially and as whey is released the curd shrinks away from the follower resulting in less pressure until you screw it down again some more? Or is there a spring in there I can't see in picture that helps to keep pressure on the curd?

Tea

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »
Sorry Cheese Head, yes it has quite a heavy spring under the washer.  I was wondering the same too, but it recommends turning the cheese every 4hr or so, so you would be then resetting the spring every time you turned it. I am tossing up whether I will try a cheddar in it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
Sounds great, I have yet to make Cheddar, but you need to try it out on some sort of pressed cheese in it!

Tea

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »
I have 5lt of milk left over so I decided to do another monterey jack in this press. Pressed it in one lot just to see what would happen.  It worked well and the cheese is now drying.  Will add some pic when I get the camera back.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
Ok here is the cheese that this press did.  Really like it.

bec1986

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 01:56:02 AM »
wow tea that looks like some great cheese, i have 1 small cheese basket that totally doesnt meet my pressing needs and it didnt even come with a follower (remember im new to all this lol) i rigged one from a coffee can lid and often get a lip on my cheese where it wasnt centred exactly right, mind if i ask where you got it from?
also.... when ive looked at gouda molds and the press above where does the whey go? does it matter if it doesnt drain off but sits around the cheese? is it the weight if the pressing that matters not the draining of the whey?

reg

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
well thats a mighty fine looking wheel of cheese there Tea. its nice to have a decent press thats for sure.

bec1986 there are a few photos around this site of different types of cheese presses that are home made if you are interested

reg

Tea

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
Hi Bec the web site that I purchased it through is ibrew.com.au
There are quite a number of threads here that detail the different presses that we use, and how we press our cheeses.  In the recipe exchange one, I think there are some in the vino, pepato, and monterey jack threads.  Also in the cheese discussions, in this section where other have posted great pics.
Keep looking, and you'll find them.

bdasko

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 01:15:54 AM »
Hi Tea

I just stumbled upon the website for those presses, I think it's pretty reasonable and might get one... wanted to know what you think and how it's been working for you sine you first got it?

Oh, here's the link http://schmidling.com/press.htm I assume it's the same one?

Tea

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 07:49:47 AM »
It definately looks to be the same one.  I have the small one, which only just handles a 10ltr batch of cheese, which is about 2 1/2 gallons.
Have only made two hard cheese with it so far, but I am happy with the results.  It is definately easy to use.