Author Topic: Artisan Cheese Press  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Artisan Cheese Press
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »
If you read my other post about the cheese press then you realize that I decided to keep the large one just for doing large molds. I made this yesterday. Finished it up today. I went ahead and ordered the correct cylinder for this as the one that's on top now is for the large cheese press. The one going on will be 10" instead of 16", just perfect. The top and bottom plates are Pre-Finished Cherry Plywood. The bottom has two pieces laminated together for added strength. The top doesn't need it as it doesn't matter if it bows a little. You don't want the bottom to bow. The edge trim on the top and sides of the bottom are Pudak, which is naturally vibrant orange. The front and back trim on the bottom are Ebony. I put a coat of epoxy on the trim to seal it against the plywood and the pores.

It is all controlled by a 4 way pneumatic switch, which hasn't arrived yet. The air hose (not pictured) will hook up to my C02 canister for my beers on tap (not pictured). I'm still looking into the possibility of using a small C02 tank with a regulator so it's more portable, not that it needs to be, but being able to move it anywhere seems like a plus. I'm going to the store now to see about the C02 tank.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
Re: Artisan Cheese Press
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »
Not the best pictures, I made them small. I may take better pics and post them on my website, if anyone is interested.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »
First of all, that looks 1st rate.   I am jealous.

But more technically,  how do you associate cylinder pressure to applied force? is there a corelation?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »
Didn't we already have this discussion? I think we did, not that it matters. Bimba, the cylinder manufacturer, gives you the force factor for you. So for this cylinder being 1 1/4" bore it's force factor is 1.2. So if you want 50 pounds of force take 50/1.2 = 42 PSI. That simple. I made a chart for visual reference for these pounds of force 3, 5, 8, 10, 14, 15, 20, 30, 40 and 50. I also took a couple of my scales and put them under the ram and did a real world test the PSIs came out exactly on the button.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »
So I used the cheese press for the first time today making cheddar. I'm going to change it tomorrow. Now that I've used it, it needs major modifications, mind you it works perfect but as far as ergonomics it needs upgrades. I'm going to just set it aside and build a new one.

The upgrades are a long solid ram to fit each mold so it can't put uneven pressure on the cheese making the top sloped. Second upgrade will be instead of a top plate like I have a Stainless Steel bar going across the top to support the cylinder. I want to be able to see down inside the mold and it will allow me to fill the mold while it's in the press. The bottom with be pure hdpe. So the whole thing will be dishwasher safe. I'll post pics after it's done.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:01:23 PM »
Well the new and improved press is finished and I'll post pics later when the paint is dry.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:33:19 AM »
Here's the new press. 1 1/2" Steel Tubing, welded and painted, works perfect, can see inside the press and make sure everything is aligning. Funny part is not only do I like it better, but it was easier to build and can withstand about 1000 more pressure than the wood one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:38:46 AM by Cartierusm »

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:13 AM »
Wow, that's a great looking commercial machine, congrats, what size is the hoop?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 04:09:27 AM »
8" wide by 6" high. It will do larger wheels up to 12" in diameter. I think I'm going to be going back to the large stainless steel keg one I built a few weeks ago because I want to make 30-50 pounders, but I'll still use this one to make 5-7 pound wheels.