Author Topic: Kadova Moulds  (Read 8064 times)

wharris

Kadova Moulds
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
I just splurged and bought myself two 1KG kadova moulds.

Dang I really really like them.

Here is a picture of the first batch of cheese using them.

The wheel on the bottom is a 4lb wheel of cheddar from 2 weeks ago.

chilipepper

Re: Kadova Moulds
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:08:53 AM »
Those really do make a nice looking wheel of cheese!! Where did you get them?

What kind of cheese did you make with it... almost looks marbled! :^)

wharris

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:27:26 AM »
The cheese is about 4 hours out of the moulds.  I think that accounts for the marbled look.  Its Cheddar. 

I got my moulds from here

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »
Looks awesome! Congrats!

Tea

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:04:03 AM »
I went to buy one this morning, but at $95.00 for the one that I want + postage + half again for the dollar exchange, it ended up being closer to $200.
mmm not sure that I could justify that for one mould. :'(

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:30 AM »
When you do a little google'ing on Kadova molds they talk about the 'system'.  I'm not finding anything on this 'system'.  I wonder if they are referring to the mold the follower and the cloth... or is there some ingenious way these stack together or work together in some way?  There are the 2 holes on the follower?? Do those do anything?  (sorry if too many questions! :^))

wharris

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
They are very very expensive.  Like i said.  I splurged.

As far as justification for these,  I figure that over the grand scheme of things,  this is not a horrible purchase. these should last years.

I'm not sure what the "system" is that you refer to, but i will add the following.
These moulds are designed to stack on top of each other.  There is a notch on the bottom of the mould that the top of another will fit.  This makes for a very stable stack.
These moulds also have built-in micro mesh liners.  no need for cheesecloth.  It comes apart for easy cleaning.  I just toss in the dishwasher.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:44:17 AM by Wayne Harris »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
Wayne, you sly dog, making us think you're an amatuer cheesemaker...LOL DAM those look sweeet. Could you maybe take a couple more pictures for us, me. A close up of the micro mesh liner and how it comes apart? Thanks.

P.S. Please give us the dimentions of the pressed cheese out of the Kadova.

wharris

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
:)
thanks.

Here is a better picture:
There are two moulds.  The one on the left is assembled. The one on the right is taken apart.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Glengarry (the link is listed on the homepage) has these moulds cheaper.  Not by much, but they are cheaper and much more variety in sizes and shapes.  For anyone interested in buying it might be interesting to look up before making a final decision.  JFYI

wharris

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
Here are my moulds in action.
Pressing some cheddar.

I will say that I have found a slight downside to kadova moulds.  If you notice the previous picture of the mould, empty, you will notice that you cannot take the lid ("follower") and press it all the way to the bottom of the mould.  You cannot do this because the mould has a rounded bottom. (So does the lid).

That being said, if you do not fill your mould with enough curd, the lid will simply rest on the bottom mould instead of the cheese.  While this provides zero PSI to your cheese/curd,  I'm pretty sure that's its not good for the mould/screen. 

This will happen if you do not have enough curd, or the curd you do have expresses enough whey to compress and fall below that line. 

I noticed this on my last batch.  So during this last batch (yesterday) I did an initial light press of 15 min, then during the 1st flip, I added some more curd to the mould that had been set aside.

That worked very well.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
Wayne, how many gallons of milk are you making at a time?

wharris

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
I get 5 gallons in a bag from Hartzler Dairy.

That is whole milk from that morning's milking. It is pasturized and homogenized. (I'd rather it was raw, or at least not homogenized but oh well.)

But it is milk.  Just fresh milk,  no hormones, no vitamin D, just what comes out of the udder.

chilipepper

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »
That is 'udderly' cool!   ;D ;D

Sorry couldn't resist!  I really wish I could find some raw milk here to utilize. I'm still looking around this neck of the woods.

Tea

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:38 PM »
Thanks Wayne for that, it had been a concern of mine.  How much milk are you using to completely fill the 1kg mould, and did you notice any separation of the cheese layers when you topped up the mould before repressing?