Author Topic: Kadova Moulds  (Read 8095 times)

wharris

Re: Kadova Moulds
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:04 PM »
From my last 3 batches; in order to completely fill a 1kg kadova mould,  you need 2.5 gallons of milk.

But that is stuffed to capacity.  I really do mean the maximum.

No, I have not noticed a seam, where I topped it off.  I have looked and it is 1 curd. 

I would think that the range, depending on fat in the milk, is between 2 and 2.5 gallons of milk needed for a 1kg kadova mould.

I will say that 2.5gallons in a 1kg mould, for me, pegs the needle.  That is the absolute upper bound.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »
Udder...what a funny word. Wayne, how much does that 5 gallon bag cost you?

I can get fresh non-homo non-past from a couple different places as I posted before but I don't think it's worth the cost. Maybe I'll try one on a recipe I have down pat and then make the same with fresh non-homo and one with just regular and then send pieces to everyone to do a blind taste test. Of course that would be like 6 months from now, but it's something to look forward to.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 05:59:11 AM »
20 USD for the 5gal

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
Not bad. Are you the one who asked or answered about selling raw milk and the state they live in doesn't allow sale of raw milk?

I almost considered getting a milking goat. There's quite a few farms here by the coast that sell them, could get one for about $250. Their pretty easy to take care of, but you have to realize what if they get sick, that costs money, you have to feed them...so I hear. And I get lazy and I know I wouldn't want to milk them after a few weeks. But, knowing me I'd build one of those self milking things...probably just need a container and shop vac...that'd suck the milk right out of them...hey I could put it on a timer.

Tea

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
There is a lot more to keeping a goat than feeding it and milking it.  The quality of the milk depends on the health of the animal, so there are vitamins, licks, drenching, and parasites as well as toe nail trimming and maintenance, just to name a few.

Not trying to scare you off, but you need to be prepared for more than just thinking "milk".

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
That's what my point is, it's a lot harder than it looks. For instance there is no way I'm going to lick a goat...ok maybe if you bribe me with a nice wheel of cheese, but I get to pick the body part.

Tea

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »
I had a feeling when I posted that comment, that you would pick up on that word.   >:(

As to the rest,  :o

;D   ::)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 02:24:16 AM »
I'm an entertainer that's my job, so I'm just trying to keep everyone smilin'. ;D