Author Topic: micro dairy parlor and makeroom plans  (Read 8740 times)

Justin Levi

micro dairy parlor and makeroom plans
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »
hello again does anyone have any ideas they would like to share on designs of a milking parlor , I'd like to milk the goats on one side and the cows on the other. ?????????? I know they can't be mixed, I'm milking in buckets

spalko

Re: micro dairy parlor and makeroom plans
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:56:49 AM »
Justin,
I would think that would be doable...
You'd have to address the different vaccum pressures, pulsation rates and ratios, etc.
But as far as design... I would probably just do it as a dbl sided with each side dedicated for the type of animal.
I milked into buckets for my first two years... no problem.

I believe I have the original sketch of my dairy that is a pdf file...
I'm not very knowledable about this forum yet, so I'm not sure about attachments.
I'll play with the attachment feature and see if I can attach it.

What state/country are you in? Are you planning to license?  that could make a difference...
How many of each type of animal do you plan to milk?
Are you going to use stachions or crowd?  I have crowd plans that are very inexpensive using galvanized pipe.

Keep in mind this is dairying on a budget... nothing facncy... but passes regs.

Justin Levi

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:10:43 AM »
spalko, thank you for sharing the floor plan of your setup. We've bout decided on starting with goats instead of both. I figured it would be better to start with one to hold the expenses to as little as possible. We are in Oklahoma, I plan on using our existing 2 car garage as we are planning to shortly build us a smaller less costly cabin/cottage to live in. We plan on doing it the old time way we aren't going to have electric in the house we'll have water. as for lights I plan on using a 12 volt LED system of my own design. sorry got sidetracked a bit. After we get this off the ground, I'll be building e new barn and possibly adding the cows at that time. And we are going to be  Grade-A.  Right now I have a 4x8  area set up with head locks to put the goats side by side and milk them from the rear.  HOPING THIS DREAM BECOMES REALITY SOON

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:06 AM »
This new book has several floor plan layouts, but none are for cow and goats, still tonnes of useful info!

spalko

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »
Good luck Justin, sounds like you've got it going in the right direction.
Grade A is not difficult if you get on the same page as your state regulators from the beginning.

And with a 2 car garage you have a huge amount of square footage to work with.
Here in TN for all dairys you must have 4" P-traps for all your floor drains... that would be the only serious complication I see with converting... you have existing concrete already.

We build the floor plans I sent you (without the added bulk tank room) "under/in" a existing 3 sided-metal barn.
So... we didn't have to worry about a roof.
It was a dirt floor, so no complications with the drains, but all walls must be either concrete block or restaurant board.  We went with concrete block walls, it was the least expensive.
Most of your stainless steel requirements can be purchased used if you get creative... we got our stainless triple sink for $100 from a Wendy's that was remodeling.

Hope that helps.