Author Topic: stackable press questions  (Read 4326 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
stackable press questions
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
OK
I've been looking for a stackable cheese press, no luck.
I checked out the folks site at Ullimer's Dairy. lot's of stuff.
I found some very nice stainless hoops that seem perfect for what I need.
Now the question of how to press them.

I would like to press 5 at a time. Are there plans some where to make a press for these or do I need a fancy hydraulic thing.

Oude Kaas

Re: stackable press questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
How much milk are you using for one batch? What size wheels are you aiming for? What kind of cheese?

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
Aiming for 10 gallon batches, 5 wheels at a time.
Colby, Cheddar,Monteray Jack.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
hey Steff, search the forum and you will find lots of posts with pictures of Dutch style presses that will process multiple wheels at one time. I also wanted to let you know that the milk I picked up from you last week is in a very nice looking wheel right now. I made a cheese that was 50% your milk and 50% raw cow milk and processed it in a Manchego style.

KosherBaker

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
Zenith, I've read through that forum quite attentively, as I'm in the process of planning my own cheese press. And I'm not sure that I remember seeing anyone building a dutch style cheese press that will stack 5 molds at a time.  :o Side by side definitely, but stacked I can't seem to recall. If you happen to recall or find the thread(s) go ahead and post it for Steff. I personally wouldn't mind seeing how the particular challenges of stacking that many molds can be solved in a Dutch style cheese press. At the moment I simply can't imagine anything short of what RenaissanceMan had built being able to even approach that capability.

Steff if I were in your shoes, I would perhaps start looking into horizontal pneumatic type press solution. This of course all depends on how handy you or folks behind your operation are and how comfortable you feel with the technology.

Just some thoughts.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
Just about any press can be used for stacking if you can get the hoops to balance properly. On a Dutch press, it's just a mater of adjusting the height of the plunger. Dowel rods or stainless rods can be used to keep things centered and somewhat level.

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
Rudy- I think you may be correct in the naming of the press type. I was thinking of the type in this thread:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5123.msg38439.html#msg38439

But the concept is  a good one if you are pressing a number of wheels at a time and do not want to go through the expense of a hydraulic press. I think that you are already familiar with this thread but Steff may not have read through it yet.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
My problem is space.
I was hoping to do a few at a time in the same space as one press only perhaps taller.
Ok so if I figure this out do I need to change the press weight or time when pressing two or more wheels at a time?

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
What about building a press similar to this one only tall enough for two wheels at a time.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
That might work if I can stack two on each side that would give me 4 at a time. Bet we can build that no problem.
So my question of time and weight still is an issue.

KosherBaker

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »
That might work if I can stack two on each side that would give me 4 at a time. Bet we can build that no problem.
So my question of time and weight still is an issue.
My understanding is that the only reason to consider stacking the molds is because the weight remains the same. ;) :) So to the best of my knowledge the time and weight do not change when you are stacking the molds. I too found it somewhat surprising since the weight of the upper mold and cheese is pressing on the lower one. But I think you are supposed to rotate them when you flip them. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in as well.

Also, keep in mind that the hoop (or mold) you have a picture of up above in your original post isn't designed to be a stacker. So in addition to some sort of a follower that you'll need to rig up for it you'll also need some sort of a spacer to go between the lower and upper mold. This has been discussed quite a bit in the archives, if you'd like to take a look.
The alternative is to purchase a mold that is designed for stacking like the Kadova. However, they are more expensive. The Kadovas have been discussed quite a bit as well, so lots of info available there.

Lastly two threads on the making of the cheese press that I think you'll find very useful:
My Dutch cheese press...hooyah!
Eric's over-the-top home made cheese press

In fact the archives of this whole forum I think are a must read before delving into making your own press. But that's just my opinion.

zenith1

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
Rudy I believe that you are correct. If you are stacking single hoops of the same square inches of surface area, then the amount of pressure applied  and time does not change. Rudy is probably correct in the swapping of the stacked hoops though. You will have to go on your own experience and recipes as a guide to the PSI and length of time to press. Once you have it figured out for one wheel so your final product meets your requirements you are set.  The only time it would change is if you were going to stack a single hoop over more than one. Then your surface area changes and so does the amount of pressure that you have to apply to get the same PSI.