Author Topic: My first gouda! (and parmesan)  (Read 2652 times)

susanky

My first gouda! (and parmesan)
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
So this weekend I took the plunge.  I've made mozzarella, ricotta, queso blanco and other fresh cheeses.  But decided to try some pressed.  So with  much handholding (thanks linuxboy!)  here are my first gouda and parmesan.  I have NO idea how they will turn out after aging.  The gouda is a bit wavy on top because I set it up on chopsticks (all I could find) to allow air to circulate while drying.  I since have a better solution.  Other side it flat.  My refrigerator had the external thermostat installed yesterday so all ready to go!  But how does one get rid of those dots all over the cheese from all of the holes in the mold?  You guys always have such perfectly smooth cheeses.  What is the secret? 
I guess in a year I'll let you know how that parmesan turned out!
Susan

linuxboy

Re: My first gouda! (and parmesan)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
If you press in the muslin, you'll get an even surface. Drain muslin, put in mold, press, flip repeatedly during first hour so it doesn't stick to the muslin, and then press so the acidity build up and at 5.4-5.5, brine (for gouda).

susanky

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
I used plyban which was fantastic!  No sticking.  But maybe is not as thick as muslin?  The not sticking was great.  So maybe I should just use muslim for the final pressing to avoid the 'knobs'.  Would that work?
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
Oh, yes, if you're pressing in the tomme mold with plyban, it's not thick enough. The nubs don't really hurt anything, you can age the cheese without a problem.

Another thing you can do is get a fancy mold just for the shape.. like some basket.. and then lightly press for 30-60 minutes so it takes the shape of the mold.

susanky

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
If I've already pressed it into the shape of the tomme mold I can put it in something with a different shape?  The wheel seemed pretty 'fixed' in that shape once the pressing was done.  Are you saying I could then put that wheel in something else and press?  I assume it would have to be close to the same size or just a touch bigger?  Doesn't seem like it would 'reshape' that much.  I like the wheel fine.  Just annoyed by the nubs.  Maybe the butter muslim for final pressing next time.
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
It would have to be almost an identical size. But what I've done before is taken a young tomme from a regular tomme mold and put it into a ricotta basket or other baskets, and press until the basket left an imprint. You have to time it right so you get the shape to transfer before the cheese "sets". The rind needs to still be pliable and the curds warm.

susanky

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
Ahhh.  That makes sense.  If I recall my final pressing on that cheese was 4-6 hours.  By that time it would certainly be at room temp and not 'warm'.  If you wanted to warm it up again could you do that last pressing by setting it in warm whey or water?  (Actually I did that with my paremsan when I thought it wasn't coming together... but did I ruin anything?)
Susan

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 01:42:46 AM »
Susan....

I call the nubs, "bumps" and I also hate them.

Wayne Harris will tell you that they add character to a cheese but it has always bothered me to see them on one of my wheels.

My answer to the problem was to start vacuum bagging all of my cheeses because once you put them into a bag and suck out all of the air the bumps simply disappear.

Regardless of how you choose to deal with your bumps/nubs, those are both very nice looking cheeses. I'll be looking forward to hearing how they turn out for you.

Dave

susanky

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
Thanks Dave!  That is great to hear.  I bought a vacuum sealer and that is the plan so I am looking forward to losing the nubby bumps.  Right now they are still drying.  I am already planning and scheming for my next cheese.  My dad and brother are busy building me a press!  The possibilities are endless (at least until the cows dry up!)
Susan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
When I use the "plyban" and the tomme mold I use two layers for the top and bottom anf rotate the wheel slightly with every press - they go away on their own.

susanky

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
Great idea!  I'll try that next time.  I may have to order more.  I accidentally touched it to the hot stove.  Melted like butter  ::)
Susan

GlennK

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

I guess in a year I'll let you know how that parmesan turned out!
Susan

It's been a year....how did the parmesan turn out?