Author Topic: My First Gouda- Aging Time?  (Read 6447 times)

Melle12

My First Gouda- Aging Time?
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
I have 2 Gouda currently in my cheese fridge- each 2lb then quartered, 1 plain and 1 dried red peppers.  I finished the first 3 weeks ago and the second 2 weeks ago, and they both have a nice rind on each piece.  I am getting ready to wax, but between Ricki's book and this site, I am not sure how long to age them.  It's tempting to try a quarter of each now or at Thanksgiving and save the rest for 3 months, 6 months, and a year, but is it too early to even try a quarter?  I would rather wait if the odds are against tasty cheese.  Thanks for the help.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: My First Gouda- Aging Time?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »
I would wait until they are at least 60 days old. Gouda gets better with age.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
Melle12....

I have to agree with Sailor on this one.

In the past I have told people that Gouda can be good in as little as two weeks old (and it can have a nice flavor at that age) but man....giving it a couple of months REALLY makes a difference.

I've now decided that none of my Gouda cheeses will be opened at less than six months from here on out.
Now that's not to say that they have to age that long but the last one I opened (which was six months old) was far and away the besting tasting cheese I've ever made.

I'm one of those people that have patience issues so it is hard to wait that long but I can tell you that it is worth the wait.

Since this is your first attempt at this type of cheese I would say go ahead and give one of the wedges a try early on (one month - two months). By giving the cheese a try early , it's always made the wait on the rest of the cheese a little easier to take.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us informed of your progress.

Dave

Melle12

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »
Thanks Sailer and Likesspace- helpful advice. I waxed all 8 (1/4s) 0.5lb sections tonight, which will help with the waiting.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
Many stores carry fresh gouda and it's good - but aged gouda is wonderful. It's like eatting a whole new cheese!

German Cheese Girl

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:08:50 AM »
I hate to tell you this, but if you can wait as long as possible, your Gouda is going to taste the best!
Once, my husband hid one of my 5 pound wheels of Gouda that I keep in my crawlspace under my house (it's my "cave").  I didn't know he had done this.  So on our anniversary, he presented me with this big box of a gift.  I was all excited and opened it.  It was the wheel of Gouda he had hidden from me!  It was exactly one year old!!!  It tasted like heaven!!!  So good and flavorful, raw cheese, yummmm!!!!
I know it's hard to wait that long, but if you can, do it...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
I hate to tell you this, but if you can wait as long as possible, your Gouda is going to taste the best!
Once, my husband hid one of my 5 pound wheels of Gouda that I keep in my crawlspace under my house (it's my "cave").  I didn't know he had done this.  So on our anniversary, he presented me with this big box of a gift.  I was all excited and opened it.  It was the wheel of Gouda he had hidden from me!  It was exactly one year old!!!  It tasted like heaven!!!  So good and flavorful, raw cheese, yummmm!!!!
I know it's hard to wait that long, but if you can, do it...
Nice personal anecdote.

Thanks. I think I'll hide one from myself. I think Debi does that already.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
Except for fresh cheeses all my cheeses are aged a minimum of 9 months before I let anyone take them. That seems to be the magic number for me. Before then they are just good cheese after that they begin to become great cheese. The only cheese I can think of that doesn't really seem to get better with age is colby.

I have a mini cave full of about 60 cheese 2 kg wheels that are now going on their second year and I few chunks/wedges about 10, ranging from 2 to 6 years. Provalone, parmesan, romano, asiago, cheddar, gouda and a host of others all get better with extended aging. If you make Italian cheeses go for the gusto!

I know it's hard when you first start your cave but try to save at least a wedge of your cheeses and hide them for long term aging. I make two wheels each make and one is for giving away the other for long term strorage. I actually eat very little cheese.