Author Topic: Drying pasta  (Read 10652 times)

Cheesetart

Drying pasta
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:05:21 AM »
Does anybody have a method for successfully drying pasta?  I am making pasta to add as part of some Christmas baskets -- sauces, cheeses, bread, etc -- and my last few batches have gotten moldy after a week.   I dried them until they were "hard" -- but obviously not enough.
Any thoughts?

MrsKK

Re: Drying pasta
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »
Do you have a food dehydrator?  If so, I would dry the pasta until hard, then put in the food dehydrator for several hours to make sure that it was fully dried out.  Also, are you storing it in plastic bags?  If so, any moisture at all will cause moldiness in the sealed environment.  You could try storing it in paper bags so it can still breathe, but is protected from dust, etc.

Realize that this advise is coming from someone that has never made pasta.

Cheesetart

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  I was wondering if my plastic bags could have been the issue.  No dehydrator -- but I think that I can get it "dry" by putting it in my gas oven while turned "off" for a few hours after the initial drying.  The thing that leads me to think it was moisture in the bag is just simply the nature of most store bought pasta.  Boxes, bags, etc are typically more porous that plastic.............will give it another try this weekend!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
Indoor clothes lines work well! That how I always do it.

kateskitchen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
I used to live in Boston's North End, where I would walk home from work and see vendors making pasta from scratch. So I borrowed a few techniques from them. There are a couple of methods: flat versus nest. For flat drying (which works best for fettucine), I get a few clean dish towels (the flat kind, not the nubby terrycloth) and dust the surface completely with flour. As I crank out the pasta, I lay it flat on the towel until there is no more room. Then I dust the top of the pasta lightly with flour, lay a clean towel on top, and continue. The pasta can sit like this at room temperature for several hours. During this time it will harden, but it won't yet be dry enough to put in bags. Once it has hardened, it's easier to handle. At this point, I gently remove the pasta to perforated pizza pans, metal drying racks (the kind you put cookie sheets on when they come out of the oven), or any other vented surface available. In the summer, I move everything into the back of my station wagon and it's like a giant dehydrator. In the winter, I put it near our wood stove.

For nest drying, which works best for angel hair and thin spaghetti, I use the same drying process as above. But after laying the first batch out onto the floured towel, I lightly coil the pasta so that it takes on the shape of a bird's nest. It has to be handled lightly so that there is enough air in between the layers to help the pasta to dry; you don't want it packed down. You can fit several nests onto a dry towel. If you run out of room, start a new towel but don't place one on top of the other or you'll squash the nests.

My test for 100% dryness is to snap drop one or two of the noodles onto a kitchen counter. When it hits, you should hear a clicking sound as if the noodles were made of plastic. Break the noodle in half. You want to an audible snap. If you're still  not sure, put a few noodles into a zip-lock bag and seal. if you see any condensation inside the bag after a couple of hours, it's not ready to be bagged.

Buck47

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
Kate:  Excelant detail. This kind of information is valuable to me. 

Thanks for posting. Regards: john

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  I was wondering if my plastic bags could have been the issue.  No dehydrator -- but I think that I can get it "dry" by putting it in my gas oven while turned "off" for a few hours after the initial drying.  The thing that leads me to think it was moisture in the bag is just simply the nature of most store bought pasta.  Boxes, bags, etc are typically more porous that plastic.............will give it another try this weekend!

Thats how I dry herbs, put them on a news paper sheeted tray with the oven light turned on and the door slightly open to vent out moisture.
Once dry I put thme in a sealed container.

Corina

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
I make pasta every month for years. I put it on a pece of paper sprinkled with flower and put another paper over it. I place it on a shelf or ont the upper side of the kitchen cabinet, where it is warmer. At first I turned it twice a day for two-three days,, taking some in my hand and throwing them on the paper again-I do not know how to explain the gesture- and it takes about a week to dry well.
Do not put them on cloth and do not cover them with cloth, as cloth absorbs humidity and they dry in a longer time.
Sorry for my english, it is not my native language, hope it helps.
I make a lot of pasta and I have no problem storing it.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
I dont really see the reason for making dry pasta, there are good quality dried durum wheat egg pasta which for me is cheaper then buying durum (at over 4$\Kg).
Fresh pasta on the other hand, you cant buy this.

I love my marcato atlas unit.  I got it in exchange for a few bottles of my wine since the people I got it from got it as a gift and never use it.

Corina

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
Homemade pasta has a different taste from the bought one. I usually make when I need some fresh pasta, and I make more so that some gets dried

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
Do you use 100% durum or blend with soft or bread flour?

I tried blending plain semolina (non durum) to regular white flour, about 20-25% and was able to achieve el dente which I wasnt able to without durum.

I'l try drying a batch and see if its better then imported dry ones.

Corina

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
I use 50 durum and 50 white.
My white flour is made in a local old mill where they have a real stone for milling, no additives added to the flour so that I want to use some of this flour even in pasta.