Author Topic: Cheese Making, In Tropics  (Read 2713 times)

yeri

Cheese Making, In Tropics
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

Hi i'm new here my name is Jerry, i live at indonesia, a tropical country, specifically i live at Jakarta west java, at jakarta we have nice weather around 28 - 32 Degree Celsius at day, and around 27 - 29 at nite. what i need to ask you guys is, in this condition when i want to start to make cheese and coagulate the milk can i just put the rennet at the milk without controlling the temperature, since many people said the rennet can be mixed at 32Degree Celcius. in this case just consider that the room temperature at my kitchen is already at 32 Degree Celcius, and the milk is also at 32Degree. do i still need to controll the temperature?

Best Regard,

Jerry

susanky

Re: Cheese Making, In Tropics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
I will wait for the experts to chime in though I'm going to guess they are going to tell you to control the temp more specifically for best results.  But as I read your post I am just green with envy over your wonderful tropical weather.  Sounds like a great place to plan a vacation! It's getting cold here in KY!
Susan

yeri

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
Thanks for your advice susan, another question, perhaps someone can answer it for me, can i store and age cheese  at my refrigerator? I only have a common refrigerator and this mean my cheese will be mixed up with other stuff like vegetable and fruit and other stuff, is it okay like this? I hope you guys who have more e perience can help me about this.
Sorry if i ask about this silly question because it was hard to fund cheese maoing class in my country so i really put a lot of hope to this forum.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:33:19 PM »
You will still need to be measuring temperature and adjusting as needed.  So you will need a good thermometer.  If the milk is too cool, you will need to warm it, if too warm, you will need to cool it.  I think that using a sinkful of water would be the best method of temperature control for you, as it is easy to change the water to adjust the temperature.

I do not currently have a cheese cave.  During the winter I am able to age and store my cheeses in a cabinet in my basement, as it is about 55 degrees in that room.  However, towards the end of winter, I have to move the cheeses to a regular refrigerator.  I keep them in the warmest part and do keep them segregated from other foods in the fridge.  The cheese takes much longer to age and develop full flavor in the refrigerator, but for some of us it is the only option for the time being.