Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet, Tablets - No Clean Break  (Read 2031 times)

sacklunch

Coagulation, Rennet, Tablets - No Clean Break
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Hello, first timer here. I am trying to make Gouda, by accident I increased the temp to 100F, at the start.
I then let it cool to 85F like the instructions said and continued with the recipe. The milk right now is like watery yogurt (2hrs later)?

Added 1/4 tablet vegetable rennet per instructions (then when it didn't set I added another 1/4 with water-2 hrs later).

Can I save this? I need to somehow, don't have much $$, and don't need it to become an overpriced cream cheese or paneer or whatever....

Any help appreciated I did read the forums before posting, it tells all the reasons why this could happen but not how to fix it in a current batch.

UPDATE::,

I used 1 gallon of store bought (did make Mozzarella succesfully before with it).

After adding in extra rennet I scooped up the soft curds and put them into a makeshift mold. Read a frosting plastic tub with holes works, so I tried that. Kept 20 Lb dumbells on it all night long. And now I put it into a salt brine as per recipe.

What do I do now? Just put it into the fridge in a plastic container for a few weeks? It is pretty soft (although what would I know?) and the brine has gotten cloudy. Thank You.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:26:45 PM by sacklunch »

linuxboy

Re: Coagulation, Rennet, Tablets - No Clean Break
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
your rennet is no good. Use a different rennet or try even more of the one you have.

zenith1

Re: Coagulation, Rennet, Tablets - No Clean Break
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
I agree-probably is lack of rennet activity. How much milk were you using? At the point you were at you might possibly have strained it through some cheesecloth in the refrigerator for a few hour and salted or added some fresh herbs to come up with a new fresh cheese. The shelf life would be short and the taste definitely unique.