Author Topic: Very new, could use some help!  (Read 874 times)

CLevar

Very new, could use some help!
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Hi all,

Cheese making is one of those things I have been thinking about starting for a while, and now that the snow is flying and I can't flint knapp for a few months, I decided now is the time!

I went ahead and purchased a decent SS cheese press capable of 2 gal batches and enough rennet tablets to last me a while.   I am mainly interested in making blue cheeses, so wanted some input as to what starter cultures people on this forum prefer.  Also, does anyone harvest and re-use their starter or mold cultures?  I brew beer, and harvest yeast for brewing, but didn't know if I could do something similar with cheese making.

Thanks for the input!  Very excited to get started on this, hopefully sometime next week!

Caleb

mtncheesemaker

Re: Very new, could use some help!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
Hi Caleb and welcome to the forum.
There are some people who use store bought blue cheeses to inoculate their milk with for blue cheese. There is also a method for making "mother" cultures to keep your starter cultures going.
There are some good discussions on both of these topics; use the search feature to find them. Also, go to "Home" and scroll through the topics to find threads on the subjects you're seeking.
Best of luck in your cheese making venture.