Author Topic: Smear Overkill  (Read 1417 times)

woodswoman27

Smear Overkill
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »
I am a new cheesemaker and am now aging my first batches of Beaufort-style cheese in our cheese room. The problem is, I was told to keep the cheese very moist (stick-to-the-shelf moist) and now things have gone very wrong.  The b. linens are lobster red and the aroma in the cheese cave is more of meat than of cheese. I spoke to a more experienced cheese maker and he suggested removing the 1/4" of goo that's accumulated on the cheese and shelves beneath, scrubbing the cheese with 5% saltwater solution, scrubbing and bleaching the shelves and going forward with confidence. My concern is the anaerobic bacteria that are (probably) causing the smell: Am I in danger of harboring listeria or other dangerous bacteria? Should I just throw this cheese out (about 70 wheels) and start over or will exposing the bacteria to air and keeping things drier get me back on track?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Smear Overkill
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum, woodswoman27!

Questions....
  • A new cheesemaker and you're making 70 wheels?
  • A Beaufort with a b. linens smear?
  • You're operating in a commercial cheese room. Has this recipe been made successfully before?
  • What recipe are you following?

Just a couple observations: Beaufort is a hard, swiss-style cheese and doesn't have any sort of a smear, IMHO. If you're a new cheesemaker, wouldn't you be testing your skills on a smaller scale...like one wheel?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
Old thread, but because I am focusing on tomme and beaufort, this is of interest to me.  My investigations have shown that it is actually more common than I initially thought, to wash beaufort with a cultured brine containing b. linens (and a ton of other species).  The practice seems to be all over the map - some do an entirely natural rind, some do a low-salinity brine with b. linens, many do a morge solution containing the pureed rind of old beaufort, whey and salt. 

I'm flying more blind than I'd like to (and am having issues, I think, with my cave in general), but c'est la vie.  I know hand-rubbing salt on one side of the rind daily, allowing it to rest, then rubbing it in and repeating the process the next day on the other side, is a common practice, but I'm aware these are for the standard, monstrously large beaufort wheels. 

I'm going to try this, after a fashion, and see what happens:  I will lightly rub pickling salt all over the wheel, and lay it back on my whitewood (spruce, as I understand it) shelf; next day, turn it over, do the same thing. 

I will do this for a month - descriptions I've seen say " a month or two, until the rind is ready for the morge" - but I have no idea what I'm to be looking for as a "ready" point for a cultured brine solution.  At that point, I will be doing a 3% solution of PLA, twice weekly, to the end of aging, which I plan to be a minimum of 8 months.  I'd prefer to get the b. casei (and its beneficial effects) of OFR9, but OFR9 is unavailable to me.
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:08:08 AM »
When I posted that second bullet point, b. linens on a Beaufort was somewhat of a foreign idea to me. I have a different perspective now. My horizons have been broadened.

At this point I am inspired to try other combinations for rind treatments. Paul, your driving interest in rind development has pulled me in.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:54 AM »
I'm stepping into dark waters, for me, Boofer, and I find it can be treacherous.   ;D
- Paul