Author Topic: Raw milk lumps  (Read 8026 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Raw milk lumps
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
Whenever i start heating raw milk to 30c and above i see lumps floating which i think is the fat from the milk. is that normal? Do i have to remove it when making cheese?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Raw milk lumps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
I use raw goat milk only and have never had that happen.

susanky

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:14:12 PM »
I use raw cow's milk (Jersey) and have never had that happen either.  Sorry, I can't help.
Susan

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Btw its cow's milk. Also whenever i make cheese using this milk, the cheese becomes rancid, it smells and taste rancid after a few days even though i always sanitize my equipment with star san. I guess the milk i get is just plain bad milk.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:37:42 PM by Aris »

susanky

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
Of course with raw milk cleanliness and handling of it is critical.  Do you know anything about where it comes from?  Have you seen the farm?  Watched the milking process?  I get mine from a farmer who only gave the milk to pigs before I came on the scene.  We have worked together to improve the process (I am a clean freak.. expecially when it comes to my milk) and he has been very receptive, maybe even when he feels I am a bit overboard.  Very nice guy.
Susan

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
Aris, I've never had that happen with my cow's raw milk, even when it has been several days old when I make cheese.

I'm really wondering if the supplier's cow/s have mastitis.

I'm sorry you are having this trouble!

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
I agree with Karen that it might be mastitis or if the cow has just had the calf recently there might still be colostrum in it. I don't know how this would translate to rancid cheese though. Are you direct heating on a stove eye and if so could it be getting too hot on the bottom. I wouldn't think this is it since you are only heating to 30, but it is a thought. Sorry i cant help more. Good luck.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
Of course with raw milk cleanliness and handling of it is critical.  Do you know anything about where it comes from?  Have you seen the farm?  Watched the milking process?  I get mine from a farmer who only gave the milk to pigs before I came on the scene.  We have worked together to improve the process (I am a clean freak.. expecially when it comes to my milk) and he has been very receptive, maybe even when he feels I am a bit overboard.  Very nice guy.
Susan
I get my milk from a commercial dairy farm. They usually sell Pasteurized Homegenized milk to grocery stores in my area but you can call them and order raw milk from them.  I haven't seen the farm but im not sure if they would even allow me to see it plus its probably in the province close to my city which is still far.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
I agree with Karen that it might be mastitis or if the cow has just had the calf recently there might still be colostrum in it. I don't know how this would translate to rancid cheese though. Are you direct heating on a stove eye and if so could it be getting too hot on the bottom. I wouldn't think this is it since you are only heating to 30, but it is a thought. Sorry i cant help more. Good luck.
What happens to the milk if it has mastitis? Does that make the cheese from infected milk spoil easily like what im experiencing?  I dont  have any problem getting a clean break and i get firm curds though.  I use a double boiler when i heat my milk and i stir constantly plus i have a thermometer so its impossible to scald the milk.

Thank you very much all for the replies.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
Now i finally know why my cheeses became rancid and why there are lumps of fat floating on top of the milk. It became rancid because of LIPASE, i activated it too early by vigorously shaking the bottled raw milk before pouring into the pot and in turn breaking the fat globules making it float on top. I only did that to get the cream properly mixed with the milk. It was one big stupid mistake. Next time i will handle the milk very gently.

Great info about lipase in this website: http://cheesemakinghelp.blogspot.com/2010/09/about-lipase.html

FarmerJd

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Great info. Good research.

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
That page has some half truths and incomplete info. Yes, raw milk does contain lipase, but that page seems to say that all lipases are somehow equal. For example, "Lipase (pronounced lie-paze) is one of at least 60 enzymes living in real milk. " This is not technically true. It's true that you can call an enzyme that degrades fats a lipase, but there is only one lipase in milk that has any really significant lipolytic activity. It's called a lipoprotein lipase. The rest of the lipases have such  little ability to break down fats that they hardly register when doing a tributyrin assay.

Lipases also have distinct preferences of what they cleave on the glycerol substrate. If you look at the first pic, it illustrates that lipases will cleave all three positions. This is absolutely not true for all lipases. Some lipases may cleave all of them, but there is a huge difference among milks of the structure of fat globules, and there is a difference among calf, lamb, and kid lipases in terms of their cleaving preference. Calf lipase, for example, will not preferentially cleave the last position in the triglyceride, whereas kid lipase will. That's why you get more sharp flavor when using kid lipase.

What causes lipolysis in milk is as the page says, first, damage to the milkfat globule membrane starts the process of lipolysis. And second, the lipoprotein lipase can act on the globules, so can lipases that bacteria excrete, and of course, if you add pre-gastric esterase, it will act as a lipase on the fat.

The mechanism of fat membrane globule degradation is not well known yet, but it seems to be triggered by some sort of balance of the natural enzyme levels in the milk and temperature.

Agitation will ruin milk for cheesemaking. That's why those cheap little pumps are a problem - the impellers really increase acid formation.

FarmerJd

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »
Agitation will ruin milk for cheesemaking.
So what is the correct way to normalize un-homogenized milk? Never considered the impact "shaking it all up would have.

linuxboy

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
Top stir before rennet add (and sometimes one top stir a few minutes into), and using very fresh milk. You don't use 2-3 day old milk for most cheesemaking. It will go from the tanker to the factory on the same day, or from the bulk tank to the vat in 1-2 days for smaller scale operations.

Also, during transfer (from tank to vat), the fat globules will become more evenly distributed. But you have to put the pipe close to the milk, you can't let it drop and splash into the milk, that causes oxidation.

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
Hmm...I always shake up my milk to get the cream incorporated back in when I make cheese, otherwise I would have lumps of cream hanging around on the top.  I've never had the issues that Aris is having.

Just top stirring wouldn't be enough to break up the cream, as my cow's cream is extremely thick - I have to use a spatula to scrape it off the ladle when I'm separating cream for butter or other uses.