Author Topic: Raw milk lumps  (Read 8031 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Raw milk lumps
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
Thank you very much for the great info linuxboy. As always, you give great information. In fact i really wanted to hear from you when i posted this question.

I forgot to say i get significantly less yield when i used to shake the milk. Because i can see cream on top of the whey after separating it from the curds and the whey is cloudy, whitish and yellowish in color. Now with proper handling of milk, i get more curds and the whey is almost clear yellow.

MrsKK,
I used to shake the bottle "vigorously". So vigorous that fat globules and melting butterfat start to float. And im a strong guy. I think you don't shake hard enough which is a good thing for your milk. I think you shouldn't shake your milk next time to improve the quality of your cheese.  You should read this http://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(43)92814-0/abstract

MrsKK

Re: Raw milk lumps
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the link.  "The lower the temperature at which cheese milk is agitated the better the flavor score of the resulting cheese"  When I shake my milk up, it is probably about 38 degrees Fahrenheit, so it is really cold.

Maybe that is why I haven't had any problem with it.