Author Topic: Cheese Press...for sale?  (Read 15184 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Cheese Press...for sale?
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
So I was lying in bed and decided to check out what other cheese presses are out there. I've seen them over the years, of course, but I usually pay attention to the professional ones lately. I was udderly (get it, udder) amazed at what a rip off they are. There is about $10 worth of parts there, and I should know. There is also about 30 minutes worth of time building the units, for someone who isn't very comfortable with tools. It would take me 10 mintues and it did when I built my first press 7 years ago.

So I was thinking about selling my units, maybe even a little custom with graphics and/or size. There is a wooden press on most of the sites and they want $270 for one...come on! I haven't got a price point yet, but I would like to keep it under $300 at the most. Mind you for that price it would come as a stand alone unit. This means it would have a small compressed air tank pressurized to 4500 PSI and would probably last years. Even so you can have them filled at any paintball store or scuba shop for like $3.

I'll be working on the materials list and see if I can source some of the parts a little cheaper. If anyone is interested either post here or PM me.

Tea

Re: Cheese Press...for sale?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
I say go for it.  If you see there is an opening for a better product, and yours offers something that others don't, then why not.

For me, buying from over seas, always come down to dollar exchange and postage.  Both of which are horrendous at the moment.

Hope it is a success.  Best of luck.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »
As someone who's an engineer I see the other designs out there and just don't see strict repeatability. My press allows for exact constant pressure. I'm working on the pricing right now to see where I can cut costs. It's actually not very many parts but it does add up.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:38:11 AM »
Cartier,
Once you get something worked out, let me know....
I'm not sure I convince the wife on the idea of more cheese making equipment but I'll sure as heck give it a try. I can be persuasive and she can be gullible so we're a petty good match.  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
I've got it worked out, it's been working for weeks right now. I works perfect. Here is a picture. I can make it any size you want. Just tell me the biggest mold you want to fit in it and if the curds are going overflow the top before initial pressing.

The only thing is you'll need an air compressor, or a portable air tank with a regulator. Do you have one?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
It's very simple and elegant. It's solid steel and the ram is Stainless Steel. Works great and strong as hell.

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
Cartier...
The biggest mold I would be using is my 8" hard cheese mold, which is exactly like the one I see in your picture.
I make cheese for myself and my family so honestly it's hard getting rid of as much cheese as I make right now. I couldn't imagine making anything larger than this size of wheel.
Most of my recipes would only load the curd to the halfway point or a little above in this mold. However right now I have a 6 gallon Colby/Jack in the press that filled the mold completely to the top.
I do not have a portable compressed air tank. I do have a compressor but it's in the garage and way too big to bring into the house. The garage is unheated (and usually dirty)so it's not a good environment in which to make cheese.
What type of compressed air are we talking about? I could buy a small bottle of nitrogen for about $25.00 if that would work. I guess my main concern would be the hook up on the hose running to the cylinder. I know that certain gasses like acetylene (and possibly nitrogen) have strange threads that might be hard to adapt to. If the hook up is NPT I can see if adapters are availble.
Please provide me some information about what type of regulated air tank we're talking about and also the thread connection. Also, include a price and we'll see if it works into our budget. This might be a hard sell since our oldest daughter is on her way to college next fall.
Great looking unit though, and if nothing else, maybe I can save up for it.
I really appreciate the fact that you've made me break that "do not covet" commandment. :-)
Seriously, I'll be looking forward to hearing more about the press. I really would love to have one.

Dave

TroyG

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
Have you decided on a price for this press? How hard would it be to make a two stamp press?

Mary

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »
I would love to have a price also if possible email me. Thanks

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
This is an old thread. I do sell the cheese presses, there must be other pics on different posts here somewhere. Anyway the price for the pictured press below is $500. That will do an 8" mold which is quite big. A few memebers on here own my presses and will tell you of the quality. Besides the press you will need an air source such as an air compressor, inexpensive ones around $80 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93796 these compressors are great for lots of stuff around a house. Or you can just buy an air tank and have it filled at a gas station http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65594 . If you are interested then let me know. They may sound expensive but they will literaly last forever and when you consider the price of all the materials is not much cheaper than the cost of the unit then you realize that you're getting a good deal. The crapiest spring presses on the market go from $120 - $250 and they only use about $10-$20 in parts. They are screwing you on the price and the fact they are not accurate. This is the only real press that can provide a constant exact pressure. The presses that use a spring, the force drops off as the spring expands as the cheese gets more compact. Also those little presses can not make wheels this big.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:52:09 AM »
It is truely a thing of beauty!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »
Thanks.

MarkShelton

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
Someday I'll own one... just as soon as I can justify it to myself... sigh

KosherBaker

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »
Cartier, what kind of air compressor would you recommend for this. You mentioned that the $80 one you posted above is the least expensive one. However, I'm wondering which one you feel is the best for the money?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
Doesn't really matter, any will work. The little hotdog tanks and pancake tanks are pretty standard. You don't even need an air compressor but a portable air tank that costs about $25-$50. You just don't want any tankless compressors like those for air brushing.