Author Topic: Cheese Press...for sale?  (Read 15185 times)

KosherBaker

Re: Cheese Press...for sale?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
Got it. Thanks.

CdnMorganGal

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
How much does it weigh - can you break it down a bit for shipping? what would the dimensions be? (wondering if it would fit in my suitcase).  Thanks

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »
Yes it can be broken down and would probably fit in a suitcase. Weighs about 35 pounds, I think.

wharris

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
Might be tough to explain to TSA.

Just sayin....

Brentsbox

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
I would love to purchase one of your presses but im just not quite there yet with the money.  I was reading another post and Sailor was saying that most of the recipes in Ricki Carroll's book that the weights are way low, only because that is all there presses can handle and are also relative to the size of mold.   He was saying that he sometimes uses up to 250 lbs of pressure.   That said, I came across this searching google images and, until i can afford something nice like your model,  what do you think about this and do you think it could handle a good bit of weight.  It can be built for next to nothing.   

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
That is a French lever press. There are LOTS of variations. The mechanical advantage from the lever is very efficient and will take you a long way in your cheese making efforts. Highly recommend going this direction.

bozoshoes

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »
Harbor Freight has an arbor press for sale that basically uses a bottle jack for the pressure. I'm sure you could rig something up by using some stainless or hdpe cheese molds or something. Not very fancy, but very versatile. All the parts that come in contact with the edibles can be protected as necessary. Necessity is the mother.

FarmerJd

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 02:55:22 AM »
The problem with using a bottle jack is that the pressure changes as the whey leaves meaning you have to constantly adjust the jack. The same is true for threaded style presses.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »
Warning Shamless Plug Alert!!! 3...2...1.... That's why my presses use pneumatic cylinders the pressure remains constant no matter how much the cheese compresses....End Shamless Plug. >:D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
I like your design Brent. That could be put away very easily.

Carter that was a nice decrete plug ..  ;)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »
Thanks.