Author Topic: Aging - At 59F / 15C In Basement  (Read 1942 times)

Windflower

Aging - At 59F / 15C In Basement
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a novice cheese-maker. (This almost sounds like the start of a 12 step program... hmmm)

Anyway, I've been making soft cheeses for a couple of years and just started making hard cheeses. I built my own cheese press and have my second batch of farmhouse cheddar pressing as I type.  ;D I'll have to post pictures of my press in a different section.

I have a large basement closet. I closed the door and stuck a thermometer in the room in a plastic container. The temp is currently 59 degrees. If I put my cheese in a sealed container, is this cold enough to work as a cave for my farmhouse cheddar or am I flirting with a temp that's too high?

Thanks for all of the advice that I've already taken and thanks in advance for your responses.
Windflower

linuxboy

Re: Aging - At 59F / 15C In Basement
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:33 AM »
It will age very quickly. You risk some off flavors with temps that high.

Commercial cheddar is usually aged at 40-45F. Some even a touch lower.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »
Hey Windflower- my wife was just looking over my shoulder while I was reading your post and she agrees with you-very witty the start of a twelve step program.

Windflower

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
I have a mini fridge on the way. Thanks for the information!

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
The mini fridge will solve your temp issues. That leaves the humidity issue that you can side step with waxing or vacuum bagging(once they have dried enough).

Windflower

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
The mini fridge will solve your temp issues. That leaves the humidity issue that you can side step with waxing or vacuum bagging(once they have dried enough).

Yup... I've already got the wax sitting on the shelf like a wall flower at the prom.  ;)