Author Topic: Cheesypress question  (Read 2629 times)

motochef

Cheesypress question
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
I got one of these years ago and I just pulled it out of the storage bin that I had it in. It still had the plastic wrap that it came in on it! I bought it thinking that I was going use it and I never did! Since I finally took a class and got the training I needed I remembered that I had it stored away. It says that it can make a 2lbs wheel and can make 50lbs of pressure when the spring is fully compressed. I want to press out some Gouda with it. I know that its not the best thing out there because of the spring action and the 4"PVC pipe that it calls a hoop BUT since got this thing I would like to use it. Have any of you used this type of press? Any tips?

Here's a link to the directions http://schmidling.com/ins.pdf

1. Plastic threaded knob *
2. Threaded rod, 1/4-20 x 6"
3. Threaded bushing *
4. Wing nut, two places
5. Nut/washer/nut
6. Spring, 50 lbs fully compressed
7. Threaded rod, 1/4-20 X 9", two places
8. Nuts, top and bottom, two places
10. Rubber feet, 4 places
11. Base, polyethylene, 5 X 7 X 1/2
12. Follower, polyethylene, 3.930" X .5"
13. Hoop, PVC, 4" id X 8"
14. Screw Support Arm, Stainless, 1" X 7" X 3/16" *

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:26:22 AM by motochef »

zenith1

Re: Cheesypress question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
I have not used anything that looks like that press although i have seen pictures of this one somewhere. I quickly read through the directions and would follow their advice in the function of that press.

KosherBaker

Re: Cheesypress question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Yes this style of press is discussed quite a bit, so when you hit the archives you'll read all the gory details I'm sure. In the meantime the main thing I carried out of the discussions is that as the cheese compresses the spring expands thereby lowering the pressure on the cheese. So you need to be there on a regular basis and retighten the knob.

Another point is, if you want to see how much weight is actually being applied many people recommend putting a scale where the cheese will go and then marking with a ruler what depth produces what weight.

Last thought, if memory serves me correctly, is that this press will not produce enough weight for something like a cheddar but should be good for many many other cheeses.

Also when you have time, do a search on pre pressing. That is pressing the curd under the whey. As it produces a superior curd knit. Or as linuxboy puts it "eliminates mechanical openings" :)