Author Topic: I found a local source for raw milk..let the cheese making begin!  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: I found a local source for raw milk..let the cheese making begin!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
I know as I've mentioned before it's really expensive $14 per gallon.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
Everything is more expensive in San Fran.....

chilipepper

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 03:28:51 AM »
Ouch... $14/gallon is definitely above the comfort level for raw milk.  Hopefully you'll have some luck elsewhere.  Keep us posted.

I picked up first lot of raw milk Tuesday.  3 Gallons of pure Jersey goodness.  Alfalfa and corn fed, hand milked and delivered.  What more could you ask for. Oh yeah $5/gallon. 

The one on the left has one glass missing... couldn't help myself!

I did visit quite extensively with the lady that delivered it.  Her and her family drink the majority of the milk.  However, the Jersey is producing about 5 gallons a day and even with 8 kids  :o  they luckily still have some left over! :)  I also figured that since they were all actively drinking it raw, I was pretty safe on my end.

First of all we (me and my family) drank the first gallon cream and all.  I grew up on a farm and had raw milk growing up but I was amazed how clean and pure this tasted.  For the amount of cream that is in there too it was really easy to drink and didn't 'taste' of cream.  I was very impressed and luckily so were my wife and kids.  I had a glass of store bought milk again tonight with dinner.. now it just doesn't taste as clean and pure.  I'm not sure how to quantify that 'clean and pure' assessment but it's the best I can put into words.

The other thing that was extremely interesting and has really had me puzzled since I spoke to the milk lady is that she also delivers some to another family in town that has a son who is severely lactose intolerant.  He can however, drink all the raw milk he wants!  How does that work??

Lastly, I make some Gouda today with 2 gallons of it and will post some pictures and notes in another thread. 

Thanks and sorry for the long post! :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 05:46:18 AM »
Post are never long when accompanied by pictures.

Yes, lactose intolerance comes from the bodies inability to process homogonized milk, so raw milk is fine.

Tea

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »

and even with 8 kids

Hey, what's wrong with 8 kids  :D   8)  All the more fun.  ::)

chilipepper

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »
Absolutely nothing! I come from a family of 5, we have 4 and my mom's family has 14!!!

Tea

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
That's good, because I too am a "mother of many".

Your mother must have great memories of her childhood.  There must have been lots going on all the time.

chilipepper

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
It is pretty amazing (my mom's family) they are a very close knit bunch and still get together almost monthly as many as can make it.  There are a few that have past on and a few that live a little far to get together monthly.  They do make it a priority to get together (all of them) at least once a year.

There are a lot of great stories that come from that bunch... I wish they could all be recorded some way!

Tea

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »
Start video'ing everyone when they get together.  Once they pass on, there is no way to recall their memories and experiences. We have some great memories and stories told by family on video, and to us they are priceless.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »
That's what my girlfriend is strating to do, her grandfather is 90 and I got her for Christmas a Flip video camera, perfect for this sort of thing.