Author Topic: I found a local source for raw milk..let the cheese making begin!  (Read 6230 times)

chilipepper

I'm really exicited about my recent ad for raw milk I posted on a local online classifieds site.  I found a small family farm that has a Jersey cow they milk and do not have a use for all the milk they get out of her.  Starting Tuesday I should be the recipient of a steady stream of fresh raw cheese making goodness.  They will separate it for me too which is kind of cool as well if I so choose.

Anyway I just had to share my 'next step' in my cheesemaking adventure!

Ryan

wharris

Re: I found a local source for raw milk..let the cheese making begin!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
You lucky devil.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
Congrats, assume it will be reciprocal, ie they get a little cheese in return ;D.

I have no idea on how much milk per day one jersey will give off but from looking (!), I think it's lots, so you could be making a lot of cheese if wanted!

Tea

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »
I think that you might have just started a new trend.

Everyone is going to be putting ads in their local paper now for fresh milk.  :D

Well done by the way.

chilipepper

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
Thanks... I'm tickled pink!

Cheese Head it was kind of funny when I was talking to the lady she had asked why I wanted it, etc.  I told her I was making cheese with it and she had said how she new she should be making cheese for her family with their milk.  So long story short, I told her I was a cheese rookie but would certainly offer any assistance to her to get started.  So we'll see where that goes and hopefully we'll have a new member here!  ;D

As for the 'new trend'... I really hope that people here can have the same luck finding a source.  It is really the small providers we are after as the larger ones I found out are pretty much against the idea of pulling out a pail of milk 'special' for you!  Good luck to all and certainly post your findings.  I'll keep you all posted on mine.. I've got 5 gallons coming on Tuesday and will be turning it all into cheese. 

So now I shall ask another questions... any recommendations for what to make?  I'll probably make an instant gratification cheese with a gallon (mozzarella or similar) just for the...well... instant gratification!  ;D

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
Fetta, halloumi, maltese, all cheeses that can be used immediately.

Actually some of the harder cheeses need to be separated.  Would be worth having them separate some and then turning the cream into fresh butter.  Apparently the success to making a good parmesan is getting a very low cream content in your milk, so you are in the prefect position to have a good crack at it.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
You have to be careful with fresh milk and fresh cheese. USDA says any cheese made with raw milk has to age at least 60 days. If you're making fresh cheese and a culture from the cow has not been analysed by a lab you can get very sick from a certain pathogen in the milk. Personally I don't know what I would do. Most raw milk that is SOLD, the cows are certified and continutally checked to make sure that pathogen is not present. I don't know what the situation is but be careful, maybe ask the cows owners this and see what they say. If they are drinking it without pastuerizing it and they're fine you'll probably fine.

That said...well done. What did your ad say and what section did you post it in. I might do the same.

A jersey cow can produce about 2 gallons a day, 1 gallon in the morning and 1 gallon in the evening.

I would definately gift the people some cheese.

chilipepper

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice and the words of caution.  Like you said I'm assuming that there are drinking it without pastuerizing but I'll find out more on Tueday when I pick it up.  I have 6 gallons and 1 qt of cream coming.

As for the ad.. I basically posted in the want ad section of a local online classified.  Title was basically something like 'fresh farm milk wanted'.

I'll try and keep an update here when I get and what the story is! :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:07 AM »
I took after you and posted on craigslist. Thanks for the ideas.

wharris

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:38 PM »
Here was my ad.

Again,  you'd thought i was looking to score some weed.

chilipepper

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
Good luck Cartierusm!  Keep us posted on your success.

Wayne did you 'score' some with that ad?  10 gallons a week will definately keep you busy. 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »
Wayne, weed I can score, I don't smoke or do drugs but I live near San Francisco and it's everywhere. I guess if you lived near farms you'd have more that you would know what to do with, probably for free.

wharris

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:46:12 AM »
LOL, 
I too am not into weed.  I get enough static from the wife on my wine.......

But i was made quite aware that should i persue my need for raw milk, someone has what i'm
looking for.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
Not a word from my ad, but I wasn't hopeful as I'm not near any farms. I'll figure something out eventually.

wharris

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
a quick google search showed several local grocerys that may carry raw milk.

Here is one.