Author Topic: Queso Palmita Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 22100 times)

morfeo

Queso Palmita Cheese Making Recipe
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
HI
Does anyone know how to do QUESO PALMITA, is a cheese form Venezuela and is similar to the QUESO BLANCO.
I'll appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Cheese Head

Re: Queso Palmita Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »
Hello Morfeo, sorry I don't know how to makit it, but to help a little for others:

1) Some info on Wikipedia that I expect you've already found: "Queso Palmita is a soft, watery, fresh white cheese with big holes, produced from pasteurized milk. The Palmita cheese is usually made in a large circular containers where ingredientes are mixed slowly for 2 to 3 days until settled. Then the containers are set for an additional 10 days until coagulation. It is imperative that the cheese reaches an optimum level of saltiness. In other words, the cheese tastes very salty to newcomers. It is packaged into pressed wooden boxes prior to distribution. Once the cheese is packaged, it must be sold within two to three days due to the sweating of the cheese from the boxes. Queso Palmita is originally from the Zulia State in northwestern Venezuela, which is the main source of dairy products in the country."

2) On this Stafford Texas, USA based companies website you can see some pictures of this cheese, indeed it can be holy. Surprisingly Stafford is only 30 min drive from my house, maybe a road trip is in order!

3) On the video below of making cooking banana torte you can see pictures of this cheese which is very very holy.
Youtube video above

4) Couple images of Queso Palmita off web attached below.

Hope helps!

morfeo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:21:01 AM »
Thank you John.
That is all the infomation I found too.
I found a recipe on the internet but I don't know if is completely corect because on the cheese the holes looks that they have been done by some kind of yeast or someting like that and on the recipe they don't use yeast.
This is the link for the recipe that is in spanish, I'll post the translation tomorrow.

http://artelacteos.blog.terra.com/?s=queso+palmizulia&x=0&y=0

morfeo

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Hi here is the translation for the recipe.

1- Heat the milk to 35c - 36c
2- Add 20 grams of Calcium Chloride per every 100 liters of milk.
3- Add 0.5%  (weigh/volume of milk) of cheese salt and mix well.
4- Add 2-6 grams of rennet (mixed in cold chlorine free water) per every 100 liters of milk.
5- Mix  for 1-3 minutes.
7- Let it rest for abut 30 to 40 minutes or until you get a clean cut.
8- Cut the curds (size not specified), and let them rest until for 3-5 minutes.
9- Mix the curds slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. Be careful not to brake the curds to much.
10- After mixing the curds removed 50-60% of whey, and add 1-2% (weigh/volume of milk used) of cheese salt.
11- Once you are done with the salt place the curds on the molds (don't press it)
12- Let it drain for around 20 to 30 minutes, remove the cheese and flip it and let it rest again for 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat the process to more times until the cheese stop draining the whey.
13- Let the cheese res for 12 hours at room temperature.

Ok guys this is the translation I hope my English is good enough to understand the recipe.
If someone does the recipe let me know how it comes.

morfeo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
What can I use to make the holes on that cheese, I think is some kind of yeast or something like that.

Jose Boissiere

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
Te explico:
Este tipo de queso no utiliza Rennet o Cuajo para producir la cuajada; toda leche cruda cuenta con una flora bacteriana típica y particular de la raza del animal, de la región y de las condiciones y el proceso del ordeño; en este tipo de queso se utiliza esta misma flora bacteriana para generar la coagulación; en pocas palabras simplemente se deja la leche para que las levaduras naturales que existen en ella fermenten el sustrato y los otros bacilos presentes se encarguen de otros procesos como son la generación de los ojos o huecos típicos de estos quesos, es por eso que el proceso tarda bastante de 6 horas hasta dos dias para generar la cuajada y la maduración del queso tarda hasta diez días tiempo en que los otros microorganismos hacen su trabajo. El problema aquí es la leche pasteurizada!!! cuando pasteuriza la leche literalmente matas la gran mayoría de estos microorganismos eliminándolos del sustrato (la leche) por lo que tienes que reintroducirlos de nuevo al medio para que hagan su cometido o nunca vas a tener el producto deseado; la receta de Palmizulia no tiene nada que ver con el Palmita aunque funciona perfectamente y es muy sencilla de realizar lo que tienes al final es un Palmizulia, un queso mas denso, sin ojos (huecos) y un poco menos salado. Te doy un dato La levadura Láctea mas importante en este proceso según mi experiencia es la “Kliveromisis lactis sp fragilis” (utilizada hoy por hoy en miles de procesos industriales!!!) que originalmente esta presente en la leche de vaca y los bacilos claves son “Lactovacilus cacei” y “Lactococccus lactis subs Dyacetilactis” siendo este ultimo para mi el mas importante para completar el proceso de los anhelados ojos del queso Palmita. Otro dato: toda esta flora la consigues en el yogur de Keffir!!! Que técnicamente pudiera ser utilizado como iniciador o como medio de inoculación de la leche para llevarla a su estado anterior a la pasterización… Todo es cosa de ensayo y error y ten mucho cuidado con la contaminación con microbios dañinos por falta de asepsia, mantén tus pruebas en lugares altamente limpios y utilizando utensilios esterilizados cuando se trabaja con colonias microbianas es fácil introducir agentes patógenos inadvertidamente. Cuéntame de tus progresos, mi e-mail es joseferminboissiere@yahoo.com
J. F. Boissiere         

Caseus

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Sounds like you will need Kliveromisis lactis sp fragilis to make this cheese.  I wonder if it goes by another name in English, as I can only find Spanish language sites that reference it.  Hopefully it is available somewhere.

Lactobacilus casei is used in Swiss cheese production, and I believe in Cheddar, and probably other commercial cheeses as an adjunct.  It's also a human probiotic.  It should be possbile to obtain it.

Lactococcus Lactis susp. Diacetylactis is one of the cultures in MA4001 and MM100 and possibly other mesophilic cultures. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
K. lactis is a yeast, not a bacteria. It is one of the organisms used to produce chymosin, a coagulant like rennet.

Caseus

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
Have you ever heard of K lactis being used in the making of cheese, Sailor?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
I use it to surface-ripen cheeses.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Caseus

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
This thread started a long time ago back in 2010, but if the OP is still interested, he should now have sufficient information to have a go at making a close approximation of this cheese.   I may try it some day.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
Did some searching the other day and what I found was this is a pasta fileta cheese made similarly to mozzarella but uses a mesophilc culture. After the curds are formed they rest in the fridge over night and are cut and spun in the pot. I also read that the holes are made from coliform bacteria and that the government has done research on trying to make the cheese using a meso culture and pasteruizing the milk first - but it has no holes when that is done.

Here is some other info - a pretty neat cheese site in spanish:

http://www.buenastareas.com/materias/queso-palmita/0

Caseus

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Do you know what kind of coliform bacteria, Debi?  I guess not all coliforms are fecal, but it would be nice to know.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:31:37 AM »
Sorry I don't recall but if the Govt was trying to kill it it must not have been good!