Author Topic: Yogurt Making "Machine"  (Read 3014 times)

Cheese Head

Yogurt Making "Machine"
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »
Daughters asking what I want for Christmas and I'd like to make yogurt like I did with my mum as a teenager in 70's and a Salton brand Yogurt making "Machine", so I've asked for this one from Amazon.com.

Any advice before it's ordered appreciated, otherwise I'll post pics when delivered.

Tea

Re: Yogurt Making "Machine"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
Sorry CH I have only ever used the bottle or oven method, so can't say if it will definately work or not. 
Though the process is fairly simple, so I can't see why it shouldn't work just fine.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
OK, while I'm waiting for Christmas my new machine, I could still make some if you can tell me more about the bottle or oven method please?

Tea

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »
Bottle method:

Heat milk in saucepan until required temp for your culture.  A tblsp or 2 of milk powder can be added if a thicker consistancy is desired. Stir culture into milk well.  Pour the cultured milk into sterilised canning jars and cap tightly.  Put the jars into a deep saucepan and fill with water upto the neck of the jars, that is the required temp for setting the yoghurt and leave on the stove.  Cover the saucepan with a lid. If the water needs to be heated, just turn on the stove for a couple of minutes to bring back to required temp.  Leave for required amount of time, and stand jars for one hour, before putting in the fridge.

Oven method:

Preheat oven to 180 C and turn off.  Heat milk to luke warm and stir in 1 tlbsp of quality natural yoghurt for every 1lt of milk, until dispersed.  Pour milk into a bowl and wrap with a thick towel and place in oven over night.

I can see no reason why a culture could not be used for the oven method, it's just that is how Mum used to always make yoghurt.  You can re-culture more batches of yoghurt from your original cultured yoghurt, using the same idea as the oven method, of adding the yoghurt as the starter culture. This can be done upto 3 times before you would need to start with a fresh culture again.

Greek yoghurt is made by hanging the yoghurt for 4-6 hours and letting drain.  Te longer the time, the sharper the falvour. I also sometimes hang my normal yoghurt for an hour, just to thicken it up a little.

Fresh fruit cannot be added to yoghurt and stored, as the acids break down the yoghurt and make it runny.  It can be added when served.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything.  If you hae any questions just ask.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Thanks very much, I'm going to try the Overnight Oven method with stor bought yogurt as innoculant tonight!

Quick questions please:
  • How important is it to have sealing containers to ripen in, airborne infection?
  • Can I just use same cheapo plastic containers and lids that yogurt comes in from store or tupperware as I have no jars?
  • Oven method is pre-heat to 180C (!) or do you mean 180F?

Thanks . . .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:58:30 PM by Cheese Head »

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
Well in the oven it was just completely wrapped in a towel, so that was the only covering.  The plastic containers should be fine for storage from there though.

180 c or around 350F, then turned off.  The heat has to get through the towel, so it is not going to over heat the milk, and it has to last all night.