Author Topic: Intro and first cheeses  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Intro and first cheeses
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »
There's a world of difference between the gouda I pressed at 32 lbs and the latest I pressed at 160 lbs.
Can you give any details for these two pressing weights. I am assuming the recipe, size of cheese, and everything else was the same...just the pressing pressure changed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

dthelmers

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
The recipe was from 200 Artisan Cheeses, and the milk was Land of Lakes whole milk. Used the same equipment (an electric roaster with a double boiler insert, and a battery operated pot stirrer) and the process went the same, at least visually. We didn't check pH at any point.
The first cheese was pressed in the press I bought from eBay, nicely made, with a 4:1 mechanical advantage. At four weeks old, it had a bright, somewhat sour flavor; pleasant, but not like Gouda. It was excellent shaved with a cheese plane and rolled in some home cured smoked pork loin. the texture was firm enough to shave with the plane, but broke easily, just a bit crumbly, very similar texture to Cracker Barrel cheddar. I guessed that it had gone a bit too acid in the make, but now I'm not sure.
the second one was made in my second home made press, with a 20:1 mechanical advantage, and we tried it at two weeks. Too soon, I know, but it seemed like a good idea at the time because of an excess of cider consumption. It tasted like Gouda; not great Gouda, but simple and pleasant. the texture was such that we could slice it with the cheese plane and it was flexible enough to roll up without breaking. Elastic but not rubbery. I resealed it yesterday and it went back into the cave.
If I had had a pH meter I could have documented that they were the same in the make, but I really don't know. I doubt that the acidity levels could have been too far different, so I'm guessing that it is the press weight. I'm using open ended number 10 cans to press in, and the second cheese was hard to push out of the mold because of the reinforcing grooves in the side of the can, which didn't happen the first time.
Speaking of which, is it important to have holes in the sides of the mold? I see that the plastic molds seem to, but the photos I've seen of traditional Dutch wooden molds appear to have solid sides.
Dave in CT

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
You really have to watch out for acidification times in harder cheese to prevent that brittle texture.

Try using non-homogenized, gently pasteurized milk from your local farmer. The results would be shockingly better. 4 weeks is still too young anyway. The Lipolysis is not there to give you the flavor and break down fats, and the proteolysis is not nearly where it's supposed to be to give you the texture you are looking for. Keep'em aging! they look great and with enough time will likely taste VERY good.

FarmerJd

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
I don't have holes in my hoops and have never had problems related to it. The bottom of each hoop is slightly uneven allowing whey to flow under the edge. The whey that collects above the follower is dumped at each flipping so not much of a problem there either.

dthelmers

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:24 AM »
Well, so far, so good. I use a plastic mat under the can to let the whey drain out, something from the craft store made for needlepoint or some such; basically plastic mesh. I've thought of carving channels in the board it sits on to help drain off the whey; but it seems it has more to do with pressure applied to the curd than drain ways, but only having used a hoop with holes once, I can't say.

dthelmers

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 02:10:54 AM »
Iratherfly: I have a local source for raw milk, and we made mozzarella with it a couple of times. I will switch over when finances permit. In the mean time, I'm hoping to develop my skill set with the cheap milk. As one of my mentors used to say, "The first thousand are the hardest."
I've now got a source for better quality milk at sell by date, and have arranged for four gallons a week at $5. This should give me time to experiment and learn the craft, and when I have successes I'll repeat them with the raw milk so my failures won't be so costly.
Part of this whole project is just economically keeping the family fed, so eatable $2 a pound Gouda is a real success, though the raw milk is calling me. I keep wondering if I can keep a goat in my small inner city yard?
Dave in CT

Swendson1989

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 03:34:37 AM »
Hey Dave, I was wondering if you had ever been able to post your plans to build the 20 to 1 press for cheese? I am part of a raw milk dairy in NM and I have been tasked with starting our cheese production. I have Mozzarella down fairly well, although figuring out what new spice combinations to use is a interesting task. I am looking to get us started on harder cheeses this winter and I would love to build rather than buy a good press. Plus if you could recommend any of the better postings that helped you get going, it would save me a bunch of searching. Hopefully you heed the call of raw milk because there is so much lost through pasteurization and even more through homogenization.
Thomas

KosherBaker

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
Hi Thomas.

Welcome to the board. Until Dave posts his links I thought I'd pass along a few that I found:
1. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4026.0.html
2. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2245.msg18642.html#msg18642
3. EQUIPMENT - Forming Cheese Subforum

The first link discusses a Dutch style Cheese Press and much of the math behind it.
The second link discusses a pneumatic cheese press
Link number three is to the Subforum on this board that has many discussions about cheese presses, along with other cheese forming equipment

Enjoy.

Swendson1989

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »
Thanks so much! I am needing all the help I can get. This is turning into a really exhausting challenge. I have a lot to learn and the more input i get the better my chances are. I'm getting a Commercial kitchen built soon, so I need to start being ready to make a lot of cheese. When I signed up for a farm hand position, I didn't think I would have such an interesting position to fill as part of my job, but what the hell, when in Rome. I can't wait to see how it goes.