Author Topic: Hello from Northern BC  (Read 1114 times)

Xnukwa

Hello from Northern BC
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
Just popping my head up to introduce myself.  I live in the middle of nowhere, Northern BC, with my husband and 2 teenaged kids, and my project this winter is to learn to make cheese. 

I've mastered mozzarella, both sorts of ricotta (cream and whey), and am watching my first hard cheese try to develop a rind.  My book ('And that's how you make cheese', which may just be the dorkiest title ever) says I'm making a Muenster, but reading on the forums leads me to believe I'm not, as it used rennet only, no mesophilic starter, and no bacteria for the orange coating.  It smells good though, whatever it is! 

These forums have been very helpful as I embark on this adventure, although I've never learned a skill which felt so arcane and magical before- there's soooo much to learn:)

mtncheesemaker

Re: Hello from Northern BC
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
Hi and welcome.
There IS a lot to learn about cheese making; fortunately this forum is full of helpful people.
Look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Pam

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
Hi Roberta, welcome!

Nowhere has to be somewhere and Northern BC is a realtive expression! While I now live in Houston Texas with wife and one of two teenaged daughters, I grew up in Vancouver BC and worked "up North" for 3 summers from 80-82 when I was younger. Worked bunch in Yukon, little bit in NWT and some BC around Smithers etc, I've also canoed the Bowron Lakes near Quesnel twice when young. Also my brother lives in Queen Charlotte City west of you. So where you at?

Have fun!

Xnukwa

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
Nowhere has to be somewhere and Northern BC is a realtive expression! While I now live in Houston Texas with wife and one of two teenaged daughters, I grew up in Vancouver BC and worked "up North" for 3 summers from 80-82 when I was younger. Worked bunch in Yukon, little bit in NWT and some BC around Smithers etc, I've also canoed the Bowron Lakes near Quesnel twice when young. Also my brother lives in Queen Charlotte City west of you. So where you at?

I'm 50km north of Terrace, in an un-incorporated amalgam of free-spirits known as Rosswood.  I grew up in Smithers though, and dream of moving back one day...

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:20 AM »
Aha,50 km from Terrace, you are in the opposite of Houston with 6 mln people. I went on a Highschool Band trip to nearby Kitimat in ~75, and had a tour of the Alcan aluminum smelter there.

Again welcome!