Author Topic: Feta, From Gaot's Milk - Rubbery Texture Problem!?  (Read 3123 times)

karenfarm0

Feta, From Gaot's Milk - Rubbery Texture Problem!?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:17 AM »
Hi I have my own dairy goats-
Have been making feta for a while and all was good- All of a sudden it is like rubber...
Bought new starter- still horrible-
any suggestions please....

KosherBaker

Re: Feta, From Gaot's Milk - Rubbery Texture Problem!?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:15:47 AM »
Hmmm. I'm surprised no one has chimed in so far. As I'm sure you know rubberiness is usually a sign of the curd not having acidified enough. Any chance you may have taken pH readings during the make? Have you started using a new culture recently? I also wonder if this has something to do with the season and your goat's lactation cycle.
Let's wait for the experts to chime in on that.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
I'm no expert but I have noticed a big change in curd texture/firmness in the last few goat's milk cheeses that I have made. I've been told that it is due to the higher per cent of solids in late lactation milk.
My yields have increased dramatically in my chevres and the curd is much firmer, not the soft tender texture I usually have. I wondered if less rennet would be appropriate, but as I only use 2/5 of a drop for a gallon batch of chevre, it doesn't seem possible.
Has your yield changed, also?

ancksunamun

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
I agree with Kosher on this one. A rubbery Feta can be due to a lack of acidification. You may find that leaving your Feta out on the bench for an extra day will help and the rubbery-ness will reduce.