I haven't had time to make any cheese in the last few months but I've finally broken the drought. I wanted something which would be ready fairly soon and while I considered the old standby, Caerphilly, and one or two others, I finally decided to try a Robiola. This is not a cheese I have ever eaten, or even heard of.
The recipe came from cheesemaking.com. The make went as follows:
• 4 Litres of milk: 2L Fleurieu Full Cream (P 3.3%, F3.8%) and 2L Fleurieu Jersey (P 3.3%, F4.8%).Total P 3.3%, F4.3%, P:F = 0.77:1
• 1/10 tsp (slightly rounded dash) of Flora Danica
• 4 drops of 140 ICU animal rennet
• 1ml CaCl2 in 20ml water
Heated the milk to 21C.
Stirred in the culture.
Left for 4 hours
Stirred in the CaCl2 and left 5 minutes.
Stirred in the rennet and left overnight (~ 14 hours).
Cut vertically to 3-4 cm and rest for 5 min.
Stirred gently for 10 min and then allowed the curds to settle.
Removed whey to the level of the curds.
Transferred the curds to lined moulds on racks with a quantity of whey.
Folded the cloth over the cheese, left 10 min and turned the cheese on a rack. (the curs were still very soft at this stage.)
After 10 min turned back. Turned the cheese over and back at 10 minute intervals for 1 hour.
Stacked moulds 2 high and left for 1 1/2 hours, turning every 15 min.
Left for 4 1/2 hrs. then removed the cloth and returned the cheese to the moulds. (The cheese had firmed up but was still a little fragile.)
Left 14 hours, then brined for 50-60 min.
Air dried 9 hours.
The four cheeses that I got from this are currently in an aging container at ~ 85% humidity and 13C
I do have some reservations about this one. It did not form a 'nice compact surface' as described in the recipe. It was also slow to firm up and some of the cheese, particularly the larger, square ones, acquired some major cracks. Still, all I can do is wait and see what happens.