Author Topic: Rocamadour / Cabecou Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 21744 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Rocamadour / Cabecou Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
Ah sorry I knew it was one of the bag companies - at least I was close enough that you knew what I meant. Watch that section of the store for juice pitchers too. Sometimes they have different shapes that make nice softer cheese molds.

pinkcell

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »
I bought these plastic containers. Do you know how far apart the holes should be?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »
I put them about an inch apart and that worked well.

pinkcell

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
great will do that then. thanks

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was away working for the past 2 weeks.

Any luck yet?

The crottin issue you are describing with the slipping skin is usually related to moisture. Here are probes to look at:
1. Not drained enough or not pre-drained in the first 24-48 hours = too much moisture in the cheese
2. Too much humidity in the aging container for too long (also could happen if not drained enough as mentioned in #1 above). That could cause an over-growth of the soft geo skin and lack of blooming of the dry velvety PC mold
3. The milk... I am taking a break from Goats cheese for 3 months. It's just bad in the northeast this time of year. Many goats are dry and the goats that milk rely on supplemental food because there is no grass for them to graze on. This results in badly behaving milk with unpredictable results. (does anyone else out there feel this way? Remember we are in the north east, not in sunny California)
4. Not enough salt means not enough osmosis to get the whey out and not enough control over the Geo so it grows out of control. That could also explain a flavor that isn't balanced enough (more sour, less salty)

If the flavor issue was bitterness than you may have put too much rennet in. If this is true, it can also explain also why you would have so much moisture trapped in it (rennet gels the milk and eventually build these walls around the curd that trap moisture in. You don't want hard curd here because you need the moisture to go away). Remember, this is a semi lactic cheese, not rennet coagulated.  3-4 drops rennet (1/16th teaspoon) to 1 gal milk is what you need. Not more.

The excess moisture that cause the slip skin may also be related to a cheese that is too large and trap too much moisture in the curd that fails to come out before the outside is done aging, so size does matter here.

As I said many times before here, this kind of cheese should ideally be aged on hay (as soon as it blooms and is not too moist). the hay gives is a nice barnyard quality and it wicks the moisture out of the curd.

RobJP

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
By the way I did my first attempt to crottin but the taste was really strong and the mold part was falling a part from the core of the cheese. I also made them to small. Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong?

What iratherfly said.
AND..
Bloomy rinds tend to develop much more quickly on Goats milk, resulting in slip skin and an ammonia smell, so lowering the temperature to about 9c/48f to slow development might help..