Author Topic: pH Salinity Meter - anyone use this one?  (Read 3065 times)

susanky

pH Salinity Meter - anyone use this one?
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
It is about time for me to take the plunge and get that pH  meter.  I also struggle a bit with maintaining the salinity in my brine.  I can make it the right the first time.  But after I've brined a cheese, how much more salt to add?  I've seen discussions of these salinity meters.  So maybe this meter will serve both purposes for me?  Does anyone have an opinion on this meter?  Thanks!
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=40&prodid=425
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

Re: pH Salinity Meter - anyone use this one?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »
You need a flat probe for measuring cheese pH so the 500 won't work. The Extech PH100 (which I use) or the PH110 (with refillable electrode) are better bets for cheese pH. There are higher priced meters that do a better job, but the Extech is OK for the price. You really get what you pay for, so don't go with a cheap Hanna or similar meter.

I don't like multipurpose meters, so there are lots of simple solutions for salinity.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
Susan, a beer and wine hydrometer works great for measuring salinity and is cheap. That's what I use and would recommend.

susanky

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
Thanks Sailor and linuxboy.  I'll order the other extech and check on sailinity meters.  I'm hoping to make another cheese or two this weekend.  It's always so exciting... all the planning and preparing!  (haven't gotten to the eating part yet... still aging)

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
Homebrew stores have the hydrometers, they're something like $10. I bought one used on craigslist for $2. I have several for beer and winemaking. If you need a chart for how to read the specific gravity to get salinity, I have it on my site, and in a post here somewhere if you search for 'salometer'.

susanky

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to look around and see if we have a homebrew store here.  I'm ordering the pH meter.  Will I also need calibration solution?  If so, can I just use 7.0 or will I need several?
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:36:40 AM »
4 and 7 at a minimum. Also need to keep the probe wet, but you can store it in 7 buffer solution or 3-4 M KCl (for Ag-KCl probes)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:55:34 AM »
The meter will probably come with a little, but you need at least 7 and 4 so you can do a two point calibration. I also do 10 for a 3 point. Just makes things more accurate. Plenty available on E-bay. Bigger bottles are a better deal in the long run.

Hydrometers are under $10-12 on e-bay including shipping.