Author Topic: Adding Garilc and/or Herbs - Fresh or Dried?  (Read 1605 times)

dalyn

Adding Garilc and/or Herbs - Fresh or Dried?
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
I've scoured this site looking up this topic. I made a gouda the other day and added dry dill. I grow fresh dill, but I can imagine that it would possibly cause major problems as the cheese ages (however I've seen fresh blueberries being used in more advanced cheese making). And what about garlic? i see people using garlic salt, but wouldn't that salt be iodized? I could use garlic powder and if so how much for a 2 gallon batch? Has anyone ever used fresh garlic? if so would it be added just before pressing? thanks! *dalyn

tnsven

Re: Adding Garilc and/or Herbs - Fresh or Dried?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:50:57 AM »
So sorry you've not had a response on this yet. I also have my own garlic & dill. I did add fresh dill to a cheddar-style cheese I eat fresh. I added it just before pressing. Didn't try aging it long though. I suppose I could try it again now since the warm Autumn has brought on a lot of dill!

I do intend to add garlic as well and would add that just before pressing too. I typically use a garlic press and would likely go that route and add a clove or two for 2 gallons worth of cheese.

I know I have read that you should boil your herbs, strain, and use the water for flavor. This idea doesn't thrill me. Just another step.

There are others here with more knowledge on this and perhaps they will pipe up.

Kristin

Mark

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
A tablespoon of powdered garlic in a 2 gallon Cheddar batch has served me well. I mix in when adding the salt.

Mondequay

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
Sorry to chime in so late but I just happen to have my make notes handy! I added 1 tsp of dry, granulated garlic and 1 TBL of dried basil to 4 gallons of milk when I made a havarti. I added it just before putting in the mold. The cheese is perfect!
Christine