Author Topic: FXcuisine.com Website - Cheese Makers Pictures/Stories  (Read 9635 times)

LadyLiberty

Re: FXcuisine.com Website - Cheese Makers Pictures/Stories
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 06:40:12 AM »
They bite you if you try to eat their cheese HAAA.

They might? 

Have you ever seen Mimolette? It looks exactly like a cantalope? Well the rind is made by letting cheese mites eat the rind to an extent. They are just mites that eat cheese.

Wow, learn something strange every day, practically.

ok... you're right, I just found this:

Lovely.  That's from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_mite

sheesh.  Is that on cheese that has been in a cave?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »
"The mites burrow tiny holes in the surface of the cheese and are sometimes intentionally introduced to flavor cheeses like Milbenkäse and aged Mimolette. Cheese that is infested with the mites can have a sweet, minty odor and will appear to be covered in a fine gray dust of the mites, their dander and excrement."

I don't think I'll be eating mimolette in the future, or Milbenkäse.  bacteria is one thing, but mite excrement?? yuck.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »
LOL, I don't eat the rind.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 06:54:59 AM »
LOL, I don't eat the rind.

Well obviously not, but  to get technical though, some part of that mite must be in the mimolette to get that "flavor infusion".  bleh...  Oh well, people eat roaches in Africa... and they aren't exactly clean!

Makes my skin crawl.  And I suppose that some people who have a real allergy to mites, might have a problem, no?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
Not unless they chop up the rind and snort it.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »
A Parable
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The cheese-mites asked how the cheese got there,
     And warmly debated the matter;
The Orthodox said that it came from the air,
     And the Heretics said from the platter.
They argued it long and they argued it strong,
     And I hear they are arguing now;
But of all the choice spirits who lived in the cheese,
     Not one of them thought of a cow.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »
Rare footage:

"In 1903, at the Alhambra Music Hall in London's Leicester Square - now an Odeon - the public got the chance to see something truly disgusting.

Less than a decade into the cinema age, a one-minute film of mites crawling in a piece of cheese, filmed down a microscope was enough to provoke gasps and laughter from a stunned audience.

The film, made by Charles Urban and Francis Martin Duncan, marked the birth of the popular science documentary with startling imagery.

According to Urban, the mites were "crawling and creeping about in all directions, looking like great uncanny crabs, bristling with long spiny hairs and legs".

"Cheese Mites was the first scientific film made for public consumption," Dr Boon says. "These were early days for cinema. The audience was highly attuned to going after exciting new entertainments.

"They enjoyed seeing something rather revolting."

The film was unlikely to have pleased anybody in the dairy industry, but it did have a lasting effect of sales of cheap microscopes, which would often include packets of mites as a test sample. "

LadyLiberty

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
Not unless they chop up the rind and snort it.

LOL!

I've seen someone snort coffeee, but a cheese rind???  You have a very strange mind, Carter!  At least it makes me smile.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »
You sure take a thread far don't you  ;D. You're like, "cheese mites, I'm going to own that beeyotch".

LadyLiberty

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »
You sure take a thread far don't you  ;D. You're like, "cheese mites, I'm going to own that beeyotch".

Blush.  Just wanted to share my weird discoveries.  That doc film was actually pretty cool  - that it's even on line is strange, to say the least.

Heck this is nothing, you should see how far I've seen threads go! On some blogs it REALLY goes way afar!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
I never do anything in halves, as anyone on this board can tell you.

stuartjc

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
Just FYI.... traditionally, Stilton was served with Barleywine rather than Port. For those of you who like Stilton, give it a try with Barleywine instead  :)

Do you have a recipe for Barleywine?

I am not a home brewer - it's illegal in AL. There will be plenty of recipes online on brewing forums for barleywines, as well as a bunch you can buy in the stores - Rogue Old Crustacean and Great Divide Hercules for example. If you can get an English-style barleywine you will get a more authentic flavour - the American barleywines are hop-dominated, which changes their flavour profile.

chilipepper

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
I agree with Stuart on the barleywine,  there are so many american varieties now that are very hop dominant.  I know some in our brewing club have brewed this one with great success. It is an all grain recipe but there is an extract version there as well.  It is basically a clone of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot..

My barleywine is a more traditional english style with only a single malt and a single variety of hops.  Marris Otter is the malt I use and East Kent Goldings for hops.  I brew it partigyle style so I use a lot of grain and then end up with 5 gallons of barleywine and 5 gallons of an IPA.  Both are basically the same beer just one starts out at a much higher original gravity.  My barleywine starts at 1.120 and the IPA at 1.060 (ish). 

chilipepper

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
Wow that timelaps video on the Sierra Nevada link above showing the open fermentation is really awesome!  Sorry just had to add that in here!

Cheese Head

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Just FYI, I made a webpage on Mimolette with pictures of it in stores as I've never bought or eaten any.

It was supposd to be General Charles de Gaule's favorite cheese . . .