Author Topic: OlJarhead's First Cheddar - Surface Crack > Picnic Cooler Aging > Crumbly  (Read 10691 times)

OlJarhead

Re: OlJarhead's First Cheddar - Surface Crack > Picnic Cooler Aging > Crumbly
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:08 AM »

A little fuzzy but shows the cracks I think

KosherBaker

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »
Despite putting the cheese in a mini cave and even using a moist cheesecloth (as above) to try to slow down the drying on the sides my cheese has cracked even more :(

Maybe it's just too dry here?
Is it in a covered container? Or simply open with a wet cloth on it?

OlJarhead

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:46 AM »
Despite putting the cheese in a mini cave and even using a moist cheesecloth (as above) to try to slow down the drying on the sides my cheese has cracked even more :(

Maybe it's just too dry here?
Is it in a covered container? Or simply open with a wet cloth on it?

It's in a cooler with an icepack in the bottom keeping it around 60 degrees.

susanky

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
I don't know, I'm still struggling with this initial drying too.  It always says 'room temperature'.  But I think my house is too warm.  And although it always says let it sit out, it seems there is never enough humidity in the ambient air.  So mine has a cake cover placed over it loosely to retain moisture.  I think it is holding too much.  I plan to get something similar that I can put a few holes in.  But it hasn't dried out!  Maybe drying too slow.  So maybe some kind of a loose cover would help to slow the drying. 
Susan

OlJarhead

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »
Erik, the humidity is too dry the rind shrinks as it loses water and the cheese body does not. This causes the rind to crack. You do need to get the humidity to at least 75-85% to avoid this. For the current case try wrapping the cheese in a brine soaked cloth to rehydrate the rind.

... jim

I got that reply from Jim at Cheesemaking.com in my email this am.  I don't have any cheese wraps so I used cheese cloth and did my best to get the cheese moist (not too much) and wrapped up in the mini cave.  I plan to search for a small fridge today to make a cave with -- and maybe I'll have to get a humidifier for it too.

OlJarhead

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 05:46:09 AM »
I bought an electronic Thermometer and Hydrometer and found the house reading 35% humidity at this time (with a few buckets of water laying about to help raise it a little (new experiment).

The mini cave is 52% at this time  :( :( :(

Any ideas?  I have a bowl of water in the cave as well as a thawing icepack.

OlJarhead

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 06:32:17 AM »
OK I've decided to try harder to get the humidity up.  I've now added a LOT more water to the cooler (just dumped it in the bottom and added a full glass on top of that) and hopefully I'll see a change to the positive *crossing fingers*

I've also wrapped the cheese in cheesecloth that was soaked in brine and then wrung out so it was just damp....

It's been ripening for 8 days now and I'm hopeful that in the next 6 I can get the darn humidity high enough.

I've also found a small fridge I could buy for $40 (it's even new) so I'm going to try to get it tomorrow.

OlJarhead

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »
Finally!  With all the water I added I was able to get the humidity up to 79%!!!  I'm pretty happy now and hopeful that FINALLY I might be able to get the cracks to mend.

KosherBaker

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »
Hey Erik.

I see you have found the solution to the humidity problem. Reading the archives I saw a lot of people recommend the following trick. Take a piece of cloth, kitchen towel or cheese cloth or whatever. Dip one end of it in the water and spread the rest of it out over as large an area as you can. This will keep the cloth wet and the large surface area will increase the humidity level.

OlJarhead

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Hey Erik.

I see you have found the solution to the humidity problem. Reading the archives I saw a lot of people recommend the following trick. Take a piece of cloth, kitchen towel or cheese cloth or whatever. Dip one end of it in the water and spread the rest of it out over as large an area as you can. This will keep the cloth wet and the large surface area will increase the humidity level.

Very interesting, thanks!  I plan to buy a small fridge and turn it into a cave shortly!  I might have to try this trick in it to see if I can get the humidity up there.

Right now, in our house it is 31% -- and that isn't even as dry as it can get!
Erik

OlJarhead

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 06:19:56 AM »

I'm still having trouble getting the cracks to seal -- should I just soak the cloth in brine and put it on wet now as a last ditch effort?

At 12 days the cheese seems to be developing a rind all over but it's also starting to mold.  I beleive the mold is normal and expected -- maybe even a good sign -- but was surprised at the different colors.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on what I should do if I can't get the cracks to seal?  Should I just stop the ripening phase and eat the cheese?  Or should I just brine it (or brush with salt?) and wax anyway?  Won't the cracks mold?  Should I cut the cracks out and wax the rest?

Thoughts?
Thanks
Erik

MrsKK

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
If it were me, I would cut this cheese into quarters, cutting out the cracked portion, and wax or lard and bandage the cheese.  Use salt and vinegar to "sand" off the mold first.

I'm really wondering if this cheese didn't have a lot of moisture trapped inside.  How did you press it (weight/psi) and for how long?  Did you flip it a couple of times during the press?

Don't be discouraged by this one cheese and it's challenges.  This time of year it is difficult to balance out humidity in regions where we need to heat our homes.

OlJarhead

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »
If it were me, I would cut this cheese into quarters, cutting out the cracked portion, and wax or lard and bandage the cheese.  Use salt and vinegar to "sand" off the mold first.

I'm really wondering if this cheese didn't have a lot of moisture trapped inside.  How did you press it (weight/psi) and for how long?  Did you flip it a couple of times during the press?

Don't be discouraged by this one cheese and it's challenges.  This time of year it is difficult to balance out humidity in regions where we need to heat our homes.

Thanks for the help.

I used a cheese press I bought on ebay (first mistake) that claims to press to 50lbs. 

After reading too many recipes I pressed this way:

1.  One hour at about 10-15lbs
2.  Flipped Cheese and pressed 3 hours at about 25lbs
3.  Flipped Cheese and pressed 24 hours at about 50 lbs.

When pressing at 50 lbs (full spring compression) I cranked down the press a little past the '50 lbs' setting and any time I saw the spring begin to open up (from the cheese shrinking away from the follower I guessed) I pressed it back.

After pressing I put the cheese in my fridge meat drawer on a plate with paper towel under it.  (biggest mistake).

I hadn't realized the need for high humidity until after the cracking started and I began to ask questions.

Typically our house runs about 33% (now that I can check it) so when the cheese was in the fridge (over 4 days) it was way too dry.  Even now at about 79% humidity in the mini cave the cheese doesn't seem to want to repair.

Also, when pressing I didn't get a lot of whey out of it.  I used 3/4's 2% milk and 1/4 homogenized 3% (it's what I had).

I'm planning another attempt tomorrow -- but this time no messing around!  3% milk and mini cave all the way.

So, here is my next question:  If I can cut away the cracks leaving a fairly solid block of cheese and I wax that don't I then need to store it at 55 degrees or less?  (The mini cave sits around 60-65 degrees most of the time with lower then desirable humidity from what I've heard).

OlJarhead

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
OK Pictures to follow soon.

I couldn't find a 'recipe' for 'vinegar and water' (I know this sounds dumb but I'm a technician and need directions most the time) so I just tossed a couple tablespoons of salt into a bowl and a 1/3 cup of vinegar or so and then began to 'sand' the cheese.

I was able to get the mold off (though I could still smell it) and rinsed the cheese with water afterwards and then used just salt to sand it again to be safe.

I then cut off the cracks (which left about 1/3 lbs of cheese) and noticed the cheese appeared to be moist and not fully pressed in the center.  I waxed what I could (the rest is sitting on a plate while I figure out what to do with it) and tasted a little.

The texture was similar to cream cheese though it was crumbley (is that a word) and the taste was um, well, maybe tart or acidy but actually quite robust.  In fact I liked the taste and thought that if this is what I'm in for I'm going to get FAT because if the flavor improves it will be NOTHING like the cheddar I've purchased in the store!  Not even the super expensive stuff.  WOW!

Anyway, I waxed the cheese despite the texture and holes etc and await advice on what to do and what I did wrong (while making a second batch as I type).

OlJarhead

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12:22 AM »

This is what the cheese looks like after I tried cutting away the cracks.  I didn't quarter it because I was hoping to save the main body of the cheese...just didn't work out that way.

So I waxed what I had and will make another batch -- though I'm hoping someone will pop in and give me some ideas on what might have gone wrong here.

Thanks!
Erik