Author Topic: OlJarhead's First Cheddar - Surface Crack > Picnic Cooler Aging > Crumbly  (Read 10688 times)

OlJarhead

Re: OlJarhead's First Cheddar - Surface Crack > Picnic Cooler Aging > Crumbly
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »
I think my problem might have been the lack of cheddaring?  One recipe I had said to cut the curd, cook it at 102 for 45 minutes and then drain the whey and press.

Another said to cook it for an hour after draining the whey.

Neither mentioned acid.

I've now seen a link that shows cheddaring (keeping the curd at 100 degrees after draining the whey I guess) for as much as 2 hours or more.

So, this time I guess I'll try letting the curd 'cheddar' for an hour while keeping it warm.

I also noticed in a link provided on this site that you can stir with a big fork (pitch fork in the photo's) which helps keep the curds separated.  I'm going to try this.

Thanks!

OlJarhead

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:02 PM »
I've vacuum sealed both the waxed cheese and the unwaxed bits and stuck in the fridge.  My thinking is that from what I've read here it isn't good to rely on wax when the cheese isn't dense and solid like these aren't and that once vacuumed they can't lose moisture.

One question though:  why is Jim over at Cheesemaking.com saying not to do this?  Does it kill off the bacteria and stop the aging process?  I'm curious now.

In any case, I'm eagerly waiting responses to my last questions.
Thanks
Erik

KosherBaker

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 04:50:36 AM »
Hi Erik.

Well, I wish I had answer(s) for you, but I'm not sure that I do. Clearly, you have too much moisture in the cheese. As you know critters works much faster in the moist environment whether it is a bread dough or cheese. So if you age that cheese according to the recipe you may end up with overripe cheese. Perhaps bitter aftertaste and such.
The best thing to do would be to head over to the Cheddar forum and read the Cheddar related posts. I haven't made a Cheddar myself yet as it requires a very strong press. From what I understand much stronger than what the Spring Based presses can muster. So I'm holding off on Cheddar until I build my own Dutch Style Cheese Press.

MrsKK

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
Vacuuming cheese that is as young and moist as what you have probably won't give you good results.  There's too much whey in it still and it can turn the cheese bitter.  If you like how it tastes now, just go ahead and eat it and chalk it all up to a learning experience.

OlJarhead

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 02:33:19 PM »
Vacuuming cheese that is as young and moist as what you have probably won't give you good results.  There's too much whey in it still and it can turn the cheese bitter.  If you like how it tastes now, just go ahead and eat it and chalk it all up to a learning experience.

Thanks Karen,  seems like I'll just eat it then :)  I did like the flavor...

linuxboy

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
One question though:  why is Jim over at Cheesemaking.com saying not to do this?  Does it kill off the bacteria and stop the aging process?  I'm curious now.

Please see my answers to this here:

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,14561.msg158763.html#msg158763

I've also answered this question before on this forum
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4666.msg36117.html#msg36117

I am not sure why NECS has that on its site. It's not a factual statement that vacuum sealing stops aging. Not even true for commercial cheeses. One thing I like to do is get large chunks of cheap, young cheddar and age them for a few years to give me a bulk sharp cheddar.

linuxboy

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
So, here is my next question:  If I can cut away the cracks leaving a fairly solid block of cheese and I wax that don't I then need to store it at 55 degrees or less?  (The mini cave sits around 60-65 degrees most of the time with lower then desirable humidity from what I've heard).

Yes, for cheddar, the appropriate aging temp is 40-45F. You can age at a higher temp, but it will age faster. If you age at 60-65, there is a high chance you will get off-flavors.

OlJarhead

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »

Please see my answers to this here:

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,14561.msg158763.html#msg158763

I've also answered this question before on this forum
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4666.msg36117.html#msg36117

I am not sure why NECS has that on its site. It's not a factual statement that vacuum sealing stops aging. Not even true for commercial cheeses. One thing I like to do is get large chunks of cheap, young cheddar and age them for a few years to give me a bulk sharp cheddar.

Great thanks!  I did some reading on those posts and appreciate your efforts!
Erik

OlJarhead

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

I decided to sample my 1st cheese today after just 5 weeks of aging.  There was no mold and the texture seemed to have improved.

I took a sniff and the cheese smelled a little like sour milk (wondering if that is normal).

I cut off a piece and sampled it -- taste was 'robust' I guess.  Not bad at all however too salty.

I'm wondering if I need to cut the amount of salt used or if the saltyness goes away a little as the cheese ages?

Thanks
Erik

PS.  Should this be in the Cheddar forum now?