Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer - FoodSaver Brand, Model V3240  (Read 15571 times)

Cheese Head

Vacuum Sealer - FoodSaver Brand, Model V3240
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Well, it's time to start making cheeses again and my biggest remaining problem is humidity control so I've finally broken down and bought a FoodSaver Brand model V3240 sealer (note, click Vaccum Sealers at top menu to see all), 17 rolls of 11" x 16' (enough for 20 years!), and one small container to try vacuum marinating meat.

I ordered online from their website to here in Texas as I had a coupon. Reason for loading up on lots of rolls is I used the $130 off $260 coupon as for only $30 more I got an extra $100 worth of rolls. Plus they have free shipping, total including sales tax for me was $147.99, rolls were $4.30 each + tax.

While an upright sealer, which are generally poorly reviewed versus the older horizontal units, this and cheaper V3040 and more expensive V3250 appears to be a new upright series and thus hopefully better. Stock picture from website below, website description is:
  • New vertical design saves countertop space
  • Easy Latch and lock operation
  • Large, easy to read control buttons for easy operation
  • Includes roll storage
  • Two sealing levels – great for moist or dry foods
  • Two speeds
  • Accessory port
  • Includes one 11” x 10’ Roll, three Quart Bags, two Gallon Bags, and accessory hose
I'll post pictures and reviews of it in this thread after arrives and after use.

Helen

Re: Vacuum Sealer - FoodSaver Brand, Model V3240
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
This is fancy... Much fancier than mine. Congratulations on the good deal!

Have you vacuumed anything yet? When I got mine, I went into a vacuum frenzy.  >:D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
Pretty cool.  8)

Congrats on your good fortune.
The vacuum sealer has to go down as one of man's greatest ideas. I love mine (Foodsaver V2830). Great piece of equipment.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

ConnieG

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
I'll be curious to hear how you like it - I want to get one in the future. 

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
Speaking of vacuum frenzy... I just began cooking Sous Vide lately. It's a phenomenal cooking method to master. For us cheesemakers who are accustomed to keeping liquid at a fixed temperature for hours, it is a lot easier than other people to master.  Sous Vide simply means "vaccum" in French and it requires to vacuum anything you can imagine... put it in a large bath of low heat water and let it cook under vacuum. Some people buy a $1000 immersion circulator or a $450 Sous Vide machine which I find idiotic, just use a good thermometer and a 5 gallon pot and you got it! (Large pot, like milk keeps a stable temp for many hours)

The idea is that if you want a medium steak at 130F your water is 130F and it pasteurizes and cooks the food, then it doesn't matter if it's in the water 2 hours or 8 hours, it's always perfect medium and never overcooks. (it also keeps all the moisture and full nutritional value and is perfectly even. Just brown the skin in butter for 1 minute when ready to serve).

As you can imagine, I now use more vacuum material than toilet paper; a scary addiction.  Thanks for the coupon!!!

Brie

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:47 PM »
I've been using a the foodsaver vacuum sealer for about 7 months and I love it--no more waxing cheese and a spacesaver in my cave. As for sous-vide, Yoav--we have been using it in food service industry for years for quantity cooking; and appears now is en vogue for home cooks (and yes, I've seen the sticker tags on sous-vide machines). I find it too tedious and time-consuming myself; yet a very good use of the vac method.

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Yes, I first run into it in 1992 in food industry but I could never have imagined doing it at home until I saw it in the store and realized that I don't need the pricey machine. I mean... I already know how to keep the temp stable and that in a generous 5 Gal pot it will remain stable for hours. All I needed was a good digital candy thermometer. As it turns out - super easy.  Perfect temp, texture and flavor, amazing jhuiciness, more nutritional value and FAR LESS to clean. Also not being able to screw it up by overcooking it means I can just put it in the water and attend to other things: make other foods, entertain guests etc. Just take it when I am ready to eat and it's already perfect - every time. Amazing!

Made very lean medium steaks last week, even pink throughout. Full of juicy moisture. No mess, no dishes to clean, no waiting, no over-burning them or having gray outside with pink only at the center. When ready to serve I just take them out and crisp them for 30 seconds/side in butter. How easy is that?  But of course, this is just one thing. amazing root veggies, perfect tuna, even turkey!!!

Here is my pre-thanksgiving test. Brined this drumstick with water, 5% salt, then pimenton, bay leaves, pepper, juniper berries, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Came out amazing.

blairw75

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have just been thinking of getting one of these vac sealers myself. Bad thing is I can't get access to the foodsave brand over here in New Zealand, and I suspect they run on 110v. We use 220v here

So I'm looking at one of these
http://www.fridgetech.co.nz/page/2276/
Could someone with experiance in these things check it out and advise if they think its suitable?
Or compare to the V3240
What pressure does the V3240 vac too?

I know there is a lot of junk out there that doesn't vacuum or seal very well

Any advise would be great

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
blairw75, I think many people love the FoodSaver brand because it's a reliable household brand that has been around for many years so they are assured that there is future supply of the vacuum bags and rolls whenever they need them. I have never heard of this brand (though it may be popular in another part of the world), so just make sure first that there is a good supply of the materials. Without these, even an otherwise perfect vacuum sealer would be useless.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
I have just been thinking of getting one of these vac sealers myself. Bad thing is I can't get access to the foodsave brand over here in New Zealand, and I suspect they run on 110v. We use 220v here

So I'm looking at one of these
http://www.fridgetech.co.nz/page/2276/
For the Fridgetech model you might inquire whether there is a warranty or a 30-day return policy. That way at least you would be covered if the thing didn't perform as expected.

It looks and sounds (from the text) like a Foodsaver. It is quite possible that the technology has matured and been passed around so that the quality and performance equitably mimics the brand-name Foodsaver. Perhaps the Fridgetech model is a licensed European/220v version of the Foodsaver product.

I believe the sealer technology in most of these vacuum sealers will reseal a bag of potato chips. That might make the worry of finding suitable bag material less of a problem.

Just my 2¢.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:46:23 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Ken

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:48 AM »
blairw75, you should check out www.shopbot.com.au and and look under small kitchen appliances.

blairw75

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply's everyone
Lots of good info here

Ken have you got one of the sunbeam ones?
Does anyone know if they are any good?

I used to have a cheap one with a single wire to seal the bag, but it was usless
I guess the double is better, do the foodsaver ones have a strip instead of a wire?

msandlie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
Ok well I have been thinking of using a food saver to avoid paying 6 or 7 dollars for a pound of cheese wax, and speedier sealing.  But before I did do this, i had a few questions.

1.. this replaces the need for sealing your cheese with wax, but if i'm doing farmers cheddar, there tends to be some water seepage? coming from the cheese even after sealing it due to the fact that it's just not pressed with a lot of weight.  after a few days, it stops leaking extra water as the salt pushes it out.  with the food saver, the water would have no way of escaping.  that's one concern...

2.  I'm assuming the food saver is a way to contain 86% or so humidity in your cheese? so  no more leaving a bowl of water in the cheese cave (fridge)?

Also a side note.. does everyone here still buy cheese flake salt or are there better local options for adding salt to your cheese?  What do you use? 

Ken

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
No I haven't, blairw75, but I'm am trying to convince my wife that i need one.

msandlie, I don't buy cheese salt from the online cheese shop, Here in australia we have cooking salt, which hasn' t got any iodine in it. much cheaper too.

Ken

acstokes

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:29:35 AM »
Msandlie,
with the food saver, the water would have no way of escaping.  that's one concern...
You can occasionally open the package and dry the cheese or mop up any liquid with a paper towel and reseal it.
I'm assuming the food saver is a way to contain 86% or so humidity in your cheese? so  no more leaving a bowl of water in the cheese cave (fridge)?
Right. No more leaving a bowl of water in the cave.

Fred