Author Topic: Wax Container - Crock Pot (& Plastic Cheese Coating Product)  (Read 3104 times)

judyp

Wax Container - Crock Pot (& Plastic Cheese Coating Product)
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
I just made my very first batch of hard cheese and it might be time to wax.  I have a block of red wax.  Can I put this in a small dedicated to cheese crock pot?  Would I turn it on high and let it melt, dip the cheese, let it dry to touch and then dip the other side.  This is what I picture in my head, but am not sure if this is the best way to do it. 

Does the cheese color matter?  I chose red because I liked it.  Why are there different colors? 

Thanks, Judy

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Wax Container - Crock Pot (& Plastic Cheese Coating Product)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:21:51 AM »
Crock pot works great. Traditionally, some cheeses use different colors, but your cheese can't tell the difference. ;)

Bishop

Re: Wax Container - Crock Pot (& Plastic Cheese Coating Product)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »
Hi Judyp,
      I'm not an expert on bees wax, ear wax or leg waxing! I can tell you however what my cheese book says.

1.  Make sure the cheese is dry and cool
2.  Place wax in the pot, double boiler etc.  heat to wax to 250F or 121C to eliminate any surface bacteria that may have formed on the cheese.
3.  Hold cheese by the sides and dip one half in the wax in an "in-out" motion.  Let the wax dry and harden, and then dip and coat the other side.  Let the wax cool, look for any missed spots and repeat again.  Two coats are sufficient.

I'm yet to give the below a go, but its a plastic coating you add prior to waxing it says:

- For use on cheese that are to be stored or matured.  Plastic cheese coat will provide a clean dry surface prior to waxing.  Apply a thin coating with a sponge or paint brush to half of the cheese.  Allow to dry overnight and repeat for the other half of of the cheese.