Author Topic: Symptoms Of "Late-Blowing" Defects  (Read 6159 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Symptoms Of "Late-Blowing" Defects
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:49:04 AM »
Clostridium is a gram-positive, rod shaped bacterium that is commonly found in soil. There are many species including C. botulinum which causes botulism. But Clostridium tyrobutyricum is of more concern to cheese makers. This is the one that generally causes “late-blowing” defects in high-pH cheeses such as Emmental or Gouda. Even low spore counts can bring about this phenomenon, if the growth conditions are suitable.

So, what are the symptoms of late-blowing? Clostridium produces butyric acid, acetic acid and hydrogen gas as the major fermentation products. Look for irregular eyes, slits, and cracks caused by the production of the gas bubbles. An abnormal aroma and flavor from the butyric acid and hydrogen compounds are a good clue that the cheese was contaminated.

Clostridium contamination happens on a regular basis with home canned foods even if you do everything right. If you open a "bad" jar of home canned beans, you will know it immediately from the gas bubbles and a strong hydrogen sulfide (rotten) smell. Same with a bad cheese. There will be no doubt.

I have had late-blowing happen twice. In both instances my wife let our dogs into the kitchen while I was making cheese.

iratherfly

Re: Symptoms Of "Late-Blowing" Defects
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:02:05 AM »
Outch!  Did you give it to the dogs?

Thanks for sharing this info. How late is "late blowing"?  Are there any effects on moisture?  I understand it smells terrible from your description. Does it endanger other cheese in the cave?

You know, in flying there is this cockpit resource management concept of "sterile cockpit environment".  This has nothing to do with cockpit clean enough to make cheese in it... The idea is simply that during the critical phases of flight, the cockpit must remain silent. Conversation is only allowed in direct context of essential flight management. No announcements, personal conversation, eating, reading the paper, etc.  Flight attendants are not allowed in the cockpit at that time. This is done to prevent the flight crew from getting distracted. You would not believe how many people lost their lives when flight crew members lost track of checklists feeling the urge to answer a flight attendant behind them asking them "How will you take your coffee?"- That stopped in the 80's, when this rule became a law pretty much worldwide.

I took this concept and adopted it seriously to the critical phases of cheesemaking in my kitchen (which is genuinely sterile :) ). It's simple, no one walks in unless they participate in the cheesemaking and their hands are washed. No touching or moving things around, no using the sink and faucets, range, dishwasher, oven or microwave, no eating or taking stuff out or putting it in the fridge or cabinets, no dealing with trash or prepping any food. Just cheesemaking until the cheese is in the press, aging container or cave.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Symptoms Of "Late-Blowing" Defects
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
Clostridium is anaerobic, so there's no danger of cross contamination.

Clostridium kicks in pretty soon after the make, but at cave temps, it takes a while for the gas to build up and crack the rind. Slits actually, not cracks. So you don't see the effects of late blooming for a few weeks. Think about aging a Swiss in the cave. You would not get the gas and eyes that you get at room temp. Gruyere is aged at cave temp, so it's a good example - same Propionic bacteria for flavor profile but very little eye formation.

They actually call it "cheesepit"? I love it. I practice the same sterile concept during cheesemaking, but it took a while for my wife to get into it (like the flight attendant asking about the coffee). The 2 bloomers were actually a VERY visual lesson and the dogs were banned from the kitchen. It's worth noting here that this kind of thing is exactly why you can't make cheese for sale out of your home. Too many distractions and external influences.