Author Topic: Pasteurized or not pasteurized  (Read 4126 times)

pinkcell

Pasteurized or not pasteurized
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
I may have a stupid question. When someone says "raw" does it mean "not pasteurized"?

I read that the raw milk should absolutely be pasteurized before making cheese but found many recipes that says just raw milk. Does it imply raw pasteurized milk?

So really my question is: can I use raw milk NOT pasteurized to make some cheeses?

Thanks

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Pasteurized or not pasteurized
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
Raw = unpasteurized. In general it makes better cheese but can be very controversial. Lots of discussion, so search the forum.

Helen

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
Hi Pinkcell,

In France plenty of cheeses are made from raw milk.
In the USA, a cheese made from raw milk has to be aged at least 60 days before being sold.

There are possible health issues when using raw milk that one needs to be aware of in order to make an informed decision.

Helen

pinkcell

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
The farm I buy my milk from is licensed to sell raw goat milk so it must be OK. I will try with raw then. Thanks

Mondequay

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
You are fortunate to have a licensed raw goat milk farm. Is it expensive?

I use raw goat and cow milk and my cheese making results are excellent compared to my attempts with p&h milk. What is the first pressed cheese you plan to make once your new cheese press arrives?

Christine

pinkcell

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
The name of the Farm is Beltane. It's pricey but cheaper than a cheese. It's 8 doll a quart for pasteurized and 10  for raw. A discount applies (2 bucks) when you buy 2 bottles. The guy, Paul, is very nice. He even offered me a big goat cheese log.

For my first pressed cheese, hum tough question: maybe romano or emmental. Sometimes I can't decide so I do both :-) Will see

pinkcell

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
actually the bottle is half a gallon not one quart.

Mondequay

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
So, $18 a gallon? Ouch, too much for me. I would be really nervous making a cheese that costs so much but if it is your only source for raw goat milk, it will be worth it.

pinkcell

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
Yes it's pricey but indeed it's my only source. Considering that each crottin it's 8 bucks and with half a gallon you make at least 4 of them it's well worth it

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
I use raw milk (not pasturized) for making cheese for my family.  We have our own milk cow and have had no problems at all with it.

For my first cheese class, I had to buy milk from a dairy.  We pasturized the milk as a part of the class.

I will also pasturize the milk from my own cow for any future cheese classes.  While my family is innured to the affects of raw milk, not everyone is.  Plus, I don't want to be open to lawsuits.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »
Pasteurizing the raw milk doesn't affect it too much and I will often do the same but the homogenization process ruins milk.

cats

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 02:43:35 AM »
raw milk means "lait cru", straight from the cow, just refrigirated.
When I was kid, I used to drink raw hot milk. Nothnig ever happened to me or I can not remember because my brain is badly hurted ;)
It was before all those diseases....

Anyway, you can get raw milk then pasteurize it, will do fine.
Plus, if you skim the skin forming on top, you can use it in cake making.

About goat milk, I can find some here at grocery , pasteurized at $7 per 2 liters. It's a 2% fat content....

I might try something with it

acstokes

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
Debi,
Pasteurizing the raw milk doesn't affect it too much and I will often do the same but the homogenization process ruins milk.
I can buy pasteurized non-homogenized "cream-line" milk, but I have to drive farther to get it. Would cream-line be significantly better than homogenized milk.

Thanks,
Fred

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »
Yes, there is a huge difference. Definitely worth the time, trouble and extra expense. Most non-homogenized milk is also pastuerized at a lower temperature (145F) as well.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 04:05:19 AM »
Fred -

YES! Go for it! I difference is wonderful! I costs me twice as much to buy raw milk than standard store bought pasteurized / homodegenized milk but it is so much better in both flavor and yield. You also have the option of skimming the cream for butter or other cream products when making low fat cheeses like parmesan.