Author Topic: Pasteurized or not pasteurized  (Read 4127 times)

humble_servant7

Re: Pasteurized or not pasteurized
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
Fred -

YES! Go for it! I difference is wonderful! I costs me twice as much to buy raw milk than standard store bought pasteurized / homodegenized milk but it is so much better in both flavor and yield. You also have the option of skimming the cream for butter or other cream products when making low fat cheeses like parmesan.

Hmmm.. does one usually have to skim the cream on top of the milk when making cheese? Or can one just mix it all in and begin the cheese-making process?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Depends on the cheese. For some cheeses, like Parmesan, the fat content is too high. For others, like a Stilton, it's perfect.

tananaBrian

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
The name of the Farm is Beltane. It's pricey but cheaper than a cheese. It's 8 doll a quart for pasteurized and 10  for raw. A discount applies (2 bucks) when you buy 2 bottles. The guy, Paul, is very nice. He even offered me a big goat cheese log.

For my first pressed cheese, hum tough question: maybe romano or emmental. Sometimes I can't decide so I do both :-) Will see

Ahhh yes, my Sweeety ...the first dose is always free!  'Free log', eh?  He knows you'll be back, back again, and back again.... heh heh

Brian

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
You will probably find for most cheeses skimming is not necessary - if fact the higher fat content makes them creamier and more delicious! I did make a full fat parmesan once to see what the difference would be in flavors and it was an excelent table cheese at about 9 months.

tananaBrian

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
Deejay ...love your web site!  (I won't hi-jack this thread ...but though I'd compliment your site)

Brian

PS: I may write and ask a smoking question or two...