Author Topic: Just saying Hi and Thanks  (Read 1930 times)

Mark

Just saying Hi and Thanks
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Been lurking for a long time....
Because of this forum I have been able to make some very good cheese and the enjoyment is priceless.
For many years I have made my own beer, wine, bread and can a whole lot of vegetables from my quite large garden (1/4 acre plus) every year. Just carrying own what I learned from my parents and grandparents. I don't have to do any of this. I do it because I can and want to preserve this tradition for my grandchildren.

I have been making Jacks, Cheddars and Gouda styles. I admit I have trashed a few but that is the learning process.

This is the press I built from the info on this forum ;D

My latest cheddar

I really just wanted to say thanks ;)

Cheese Head

Re: Just saying Hi and Thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »
Howdy Mark great looking press & cheese!

Tailgating cheese making, great idea!

OlJarhead

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:07:06 PM »
Wow! and Wow! :)

I'm glad you did (say hi that is)....

As for canning (I do that), gardening (I also do that), and various other like things I must say I'm always inspired when someone else does it for similar reasons to my own!  We've lost so much as a society and culture that it is awesome to see someone like yourself doing it.

I too do not need to do all of these things (today anyway) but I also beleive that what we've lost as a people (knowledge) will be the most important thing in the future if things were to go poorly (economically).  After all, there is no rule of the Universe that states "The United States of America shall never again experience hard times"...if there were I'd still do this but knowing that there isn't just sorta makes it that much more important!

No?

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:41:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mark. Great looking cheese and press.

Erik totally agree with you. Another reason to make your own is that you have total control over ingredients and flavor. Whether you are baking your own bread, or making your own cheese or canning fruits and veggies. You control how much salt, your control how much sugar and whether there are any chemicals colorants and whatever other horrors they put into our processed foods today.
The additional bonus of growing your own is being able to pick it riper and fuller of flavor. Because it did not need to sit in a warehouse somewhere for a week and be shipped from place to place.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark.  I do many of the things you do, except I don't brew beer.  Not enough demand for it in our house.

We also grow our own beef, pork, and chicken, and milk our own cow.  We're ready for whatever may come.

OlJarhead

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Rudy and Karen -- amen!

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum!

Are you sure that the back of the truck is the best place to make cheese?  :P :P :P

Where do you live?

I have been baking artisanal breads, pickling, dry-curing meat and fish, making my own pasta, sauerkraut, ice cream, roasting coffee and more - just like you; to preserve tradition (and of course to have fun and eat well...).  I haven't brewed beer or made wine but seen my friends do it and I know the process.  Cheese however, is like brewing, bread baking or curing meats - on steroids. Addictive and complex.  To me it's a connecting point between technology and tradition, speed and patience, nature and the lab, history and future. Tasty too!

Can't wait to see some more of your cheese around here. How long have you been making them?

Yoav

Mark

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:30 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome. I have been reading and reading for a long time. Hope someday to have something to contribute.

To answer a few questions...

I live in the upstate of S.C. and have been doing the cheese thing for abut a year. Progressed from jars full of water to cement blocks and bricks to finally a press. I can't believe the difference in the texture and taste using the right psi makes ;D

BTW...the press and cheese is on the tailgate just for photo purposes. I couldn't get a decent picture inside. :D

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:47:19 AM »
Yeah, gotta figure them people from SC would just go ahead and make tailgate cheese...

Cheers - we love to rib one another around here!

FarmerJd

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 05:18:04 AM »
Welcome aboard, Mark. Looks like you have a nice setup. Good luck and keep posting.

Mark

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:32 AM »
Welcome aboard, Mark. Looks like you have a nice setup. Good luck and keep posting.

The arm is 36" and attaches at 12" with two double pulleys. I have you in a great part to thank for all the math. When I checked on the bathroom scales I was only off by 6 lbs from what I had calculated ;D

It cost me about $11 to make, that makes it even better. 8)

Mark

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »
Yeah, gotta figure them people from SC would just go ahead and make tailgate cheese...

Cheers - we love to rib one another around here!

We're experts at tailgatin' ::)