Author Topic: Brie Runny Under Rind - Ripening Temperatures  (Read 4010 times)

puterrlf

Brie Runny Under Rind - Ripening Temperatures
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »
I used recipe from "Home Cheese Making" by Rikki Carroll. My first batch was perfect. The last  3 batches since have all got very runny after a couple weeks. I used the same ingredients and same techniques. Can Anybody tell me what causes it to get runny that fast? The center is still hard, but under the crust, its runny like a heavy cream(even when cool 55 deg.). It still tastes good, just can't do much with it.

mtncheesemaker

Re: Brie Runny Under Rind - Ripening Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Can you post a picture? That might help.
What temp are you aging at?

KosherBaker

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
Hi puterrlf.

Welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer to your questions, but thought I would help by pointing you to the forum called RENNET COAGULATED - Soft Penicillium candidum (White) Mold Ripened has a lot useful discussions on Bries/Camambers and the like here are a couple that seems to discuss your specific problem.
Slip Skin 1
Slip Skin 2

There may be more.

puterrlf

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
my last batches were a little warmer for 1st week aging, maybe around 65 deg. 1st one was in winter around 60. would 5 deg make difference? don't have pic. spread on crackers and ate it a week ago :(  Just found this forum and  thought maybe I could get tips for next batch. Better than paying $17.00 lb in store.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »
I think 65F is too high. I'm guessing the outside of the cheese ripened too fast and the inside never got to ripen. Not sure if you had slip skin or just uneven ripening.
I ripen as close to 50F as I can to allow a slow even ripening. I'm guessing too high temp was your problem.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
brie is ripened at 52-53F for the first 7 days (until the mold covers completely), and then you move it to 47-48F. 65F is way, way too hot. Even 55 is too hot for maturation, but is fine for encouraging mold bloom.

During the first 7-10 days, to encourage the mold growth, having lots of oxygen and high humidity (98%) helps. Then after mold cover, you can wrap and drop humidity down to 85%.

puterrlf

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »
Thank you evryone. I believe I'll try again now it's cooler outside, and my cupboards are cooler. Hope it works out this time.