Author Topic: A calf named Stewart  (Read 5584 times)

FarmerJd

Re: A calf named Stewart
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
Beautiful calf, Karen.
Kristin, You are right about my cows problem. I have heard about it on dairies but had never had a cow with it before. This was "Daisy" 2nd calf and I think her bag is having a hard time adjusting to the extra milk. She is half Holstein and half Jersey. I think she has a Jersey bag trying to hold a Holstein's milk. ;)
Kosher, you are so right about being thankful for our Blessings. I have 10 children and my wife and I count them everyday. :)

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Oh he's a beautiful little guy! Congratulations! Makes me want to snuggle up with him  ;)  I enjoyed reading your story... I love having new goat babies, but the cow having a calf is just awesome.

Here are two photos I took today.  I took more, but it isn't a great camera.

Here he is, sleeping while Momma got milked:

And here he is getting a snack after milking was done:

We put a weight tape on him last night.  He's much bigger than I originally estimated - 79 lbs!
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

MrsKK

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 02:29:15 AM »
Buttercup is 3/4 Jersey and 1/4 Holstein.  She was bred by her son in February when I was using him to see when she was in standing heat...I never saw anything happen, but it obviously did.  We definitely were blessed with this little guy, as he is incredibly healthy.

The colostrum has finally turned to milk and her birthing hormones have definitely settled down, so milking is going much better.

I'm making Greek yogurt tomorrow and mozzarella on Thursday.

Homestead

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Hi, we have had that problem before, it is almost always a hematoma from laying wrong or another type of trauma to the udder.  Does she have a large or pendulous udder?