Author Topic: Lime flavored yogurt  (Read 5088 times)

jimk

Lime flavored yogurt
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:50:21 AM »
How does one flavor yogurt with lime without causing it to curdle?

TimT

Re: Lime flavored yogurt
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »
Peel?

Anyway, it's yoghurt. It's already curdled!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
Or leaves, maybe Kaffir lime leaves? Dunno...   ???
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Mermaid

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »
I make lemon yogurt that doesn't curdle. But I add the lemon juice and zest after the yogurt is made, in addition to a little bit of juice and sometimes some sweetener like maple syrup. Sell it on my farm as a drinkable yogurt in a pint container.
I have never tried setting the yogurt WITH the citrus because that would mess with the acidity for sure.
Good luck! Ive been meaning to try lime for a while.

TimT

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
It raises an interesting question - would you be able to curdle milk through the action of both lacto-bacilli *and* some natural acid - eg, lemon or lime juice. I think it might be possible though the acidity from the lemon or lime juice might be too harsh for the yoghurt-making LB?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »
I have added "Finger limes" to mine - after the yoghurt is made of course. As there is not much acid freely squeezed out but encapsulated within the little capsules, it is very nice with little lime 'Bombs' when you eat it.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/bushfood/fingerlime.htm

We have two tree in our garden and we use them in anything that a little citrus hit is wanted.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:03 AM »
Good idea Mal. I've been meaning to get a finger lime tree. I want one of the red coloured ones, but whenever I look for them they're not available. Do they grow big?

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:56:50 AM »
We have two and they are about 3 metres high.  They are a slow growing tree and I would plan on either a really big planter space or put in the ground - they don't do well in little pots.  We have ours, one each in a 1 X 1 Meter raised planting box.  If you buy them small it will take a while approx 2 years to get any decent fruit from them.  Being in Victoria I would think you would have a few few issues as they do like the full sun and wet humid conditions and are partial to a bit of mulch and liquid fertiliser.  Don't let me discourage you in getting one because after about 2 years we are getting 10-15 kg of each tree.

-- Mal   
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:04 AM »
Thanks Mal. Yep, climate here is an issue but Diggers claim they'll do okay here. I'd plant it north facing near a brick wall. I have a banana in that position also. It is doing very well, but has never produced fruit. They grow bigger than I had expected. That's a decent amount of fruit also.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »
  OK---you Aussies----I'm ashamed to admit how ignorant I am of your country---If it wasn't on NAT Geo, I'm lost----but those finger limes are like nothing I imagined a lime to look like---very interesting----are the bananas somehow different too ?
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
Qdog - I'm an Aussie and didn't know finger limes existed until maybe five years ago. They are a tropical native from up above where Mal lives. I live way down south where the climate is a little colder and less humid. I don't think we have any hidden species of bananas unfortunately, although there is a lot of variety. I love the look of monkey finger bananas.

Shane

jimk

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I had tried to add lime juice at the start and it did not work well with the LB. I'll try using pieces of lime after the ferment. I'm also wondering about dehydrated lime juice.

jmason

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 03:38:57 AM »
If I were doing it I would try adding lime curd, made like lemon curd but of course with limes instead of lemons.  I made a batch of this last year to use as a spread between a 3 layer coconut cake I made for a friends birthday.  Inspired by "you put the lime in the coconut".  The cake was done like a tres leche cake but with cocnut milk.  The outside was frosted with a luscious buttercream and coated with toasted coconut.  It was wonderful.

John

jimk

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »
Wow , that sounds delicious.