Author Topic: Intro from Knoxville, TN  (Read 2317 times)

spalko

Intro from Knoxville, TN
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
Just wanted to send a quick post to introduce myself...
I just discovered this forum thanks so Kristan, and have been lerking a little to learn how the forum works.

I am Sheri Palko, owner/manager of Locust Grove Farm, Farmstead Sheep's Milk Cheeses.
I am located in Knoxville, TN, and have the first licensed sheep dairy in the southeast.
I own about 100 dairys ewes, milk from January thru August, and make aged, raw milk, sheep cheeses.

Looking forward to doing some more exploring on this forum.

FarmerJd

Re: Intro from Knoxville, TN
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your input.

tnsven

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
Hey Sheri! Nice to "see" you here! - Kristin

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
Hi Sheri, welcome, great to have a Sheep's milk cheese maker here!

Looking forward to your input, have fun!!

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:10 AM »
Hi Sheri,

Very cool to have an experienced sheep's milk cheesemaker on the forum. What breed of sheep do you have, and what's the average amount of milk you get per ewe at the peak of milking season? I'd like to have a small herd of dairy sheep, eventually. Your farm looks beautiful, I had a peek at your web site. What you're doing is fantastic.

I'm a new cheesemaker and just have 2 dairy goats- La Manchas.

~Laurie

www.whitesagefarms.com

White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

spalko

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »
Thanks so much, beautiful website yourself.  :)

Most of my ewes are East Friesian, but I do have some lines that have Lacaune in them also.
The ewes are my passion, I love everything about them.
Genetics is a love of mine also.

Cheesemaking?  Not so much so.
I enjoy making cheese, but am not the sales and marketing person I need to be, and really have no passion for that side of business.
That's the reason I joined the list... hoping to develop that side of my knowledge base.
That's also the reason the cheese half of my business is for sale... that way I can focus on my genetics and building my flock and sell my milk to the new owner (and do what I love the most and am best at).

That said... I just found out one of my cheeses is featured in this month's Southern Living Magazine.
My kind of marketing... free!   ;)

Follow your dream to license, it really isn't the obstable many folks make it out to be.

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the info on your ewes & the encouragement- I'm going to post a few questions to you under the Dairy Farm Animal board later... I'm interested in the animal husbandry/genetics side of things too.  I love almost everything about my does... I'm guessing sheep aren't quite as naughty as goats.

I understand what you mean about the sales & marketing, it's a totally different aspect of the cheese making business.
Congrats on your cheese being featured in Southern Living magazine, I've got to go to town later, I'm going to go find it :-) Interesting that you're selling the cheese making half of your operation, that's sort of shocking, I guess because it seems like it's so much work and time to build up to going professional as a cheesemaker.

~Laurie

Thanks so much, beautiful website yourself.  :)

Most of my ewes are East Friesian, but I do have some lines that have Lacaune in them also.
The ewes are my passion, I love everything about them.
Genetics is a love of mine also.

Cheesemaking?  Not so much so.
I enjoy making cheese, but am not the sales and marketing person I need to be, and really have no passion for that side of business.
That's the reason I joined the list... hoping to develop that side of my knowledge base.
That's also the reason the cheese half of my business is for sale... that way I can focus on my genetics and building my flock and sell my milk to the new owner (and do what I love the most and am best at).

That said... I just found out one of my cheeses is featured in this month's Southern Living Magazine.
My kind of marketing... free!   ;)

Follow your dream to license, it really isn't the obstable many folks make it out to be.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com