Author Topic: A peek inside my cheese cave  (Read 4345 times)

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
A peek inside my cheese cave
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:59:34 AM »
Top shelf: Left side is Deejay Debi's Havarti recipe with saffron threads, Right side Deejay Debi's Havarti with fennel pollen.
(thanks for posting your recipe, Debi!)

Middle shelf: 2 Goudas. One I used Likespace's recipe from 12-09 (thanks for posting it, Likespace!) and the other I used
Ricki C's and 200 Recipes.

Bottom shelf- A French Tomme made with my goat's milk. I aged it for a couple of months with a natural rind, then it seemed to be drying out so I bagged it.

In the second photo, the cave on left had been filled with the different goat's milk Crottin's I made, but my brother came to visit and now they're gone :-)

White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

MrsKK

Re: A peek inside my cheese cave
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:23:09 AM »
Very nice!  Looks like your cheesecave is  central to your house.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 07:48:14 AM »
Nice little peek. I rather like the visibility of the one on the right.

I hope Santa brings me a new cave this Christmas. The one I have now is just about topped off.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

GDKNZ

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
May I ask what the make and models are of you two caves please. I am looking at getting something similar but struggling to settle on a make. Are the specific cheese caves or are they re-purposed wine fridges?

Grant.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
Looks great! Congrats! Deb is surely the queen!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
Great looking cheeses and a nice caves! I have a suggestion for you to increase your cave space. You can remove the wire racks and make shorter shelves using the small 1 inch PVC pipes and T's or wooden dowels and effectively double your cave space. The wood is more expensive and labor intensive but very pretty.

Thanks for the compliments!

Brie

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:00:19 AM »
Deb--did you actually create a recipe for the Havarti with my additions of fennel pollen and Saffron? I am truly honored if you did--if not, let me just add the following addendums:
Both fennel pollen and saffron are very strong additives that grow stronger in aging--be very non-aggresive as they will be too strong at 3 months to enjoy as a table cheese. I have used both in making arancini (risotto with a wedge of either cheese in the middle--coated with panko and deep-fried). Glorious!
Whitesage--I see you have goats! Since you already have the fennel pollen--mix it with some lavender and make a great soft chevre (be careful, as I got the idea from Cypress Grove (Purple Haze) and they may have a patent.)

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:26:20 AM »
I got them both from ads on Craigslist... one is a Vinotemp and one is an Avanti. I'm not sure the model numbers but next time I move the table they're on, I'll take a peek at the info on the back. They're re-purposed wine fridges, although they both have several bottles of Idaho wine in them as I'm typing this... :-) They're both working like charms so far, I've had the Vinotemp almost a year, and it had been used when I bought it. The Avanti is used as well, and I've had it a few months. So far so good.
I'm going to be looking for more, soon :-)

Laurie

May I ask what the make and models are of you two caves please. I am looking at getting something similar but struggling to settle on a make. Are the specific cheese caves or are they re-purposed wine fridges?

Grant.
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »
Thanks, Brie! Yes, Deb IS the queen! She rocks the cheesemaking!

Looks great! Congrats! Deb is surely the queen!
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
Thanks, Debi! I'm not good at visualizing the shelves you're talking about... do you have any photos? I'm all for wood shelves/racks etc. Thanks again for all your helpful posts... My 93 year old mom is Danish, & she adores Havarti, so I've been buying it for her weekly. When I saw your recipes, a light bulb went off. I'm going to cut the fennel wheel this week. I'm hoping it's edible. I have daydream nightmares about it tasting horrid LOL.

~Laurie

Great looking cheeses and a nice caves! I have a suggestion for you to increase your cave space. You can remove the wire racks and make shorter shelves using the small 1 inch PVC pipes and T's or wooden dowels and effectively double your cave space. The wood is more expensive and labor intensive but very pretty.

Thanks for the compliments!
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »
Yes, I have goats, just 4 dairy does. I only had one that was in milk this past season, this spring I'll have more. I will try the fennel pollen & lavender. Good to know about the pollen and saffron growing stronger in aging. I'll find out if I added too much within the week.  ;)

Laurie

Deb--did you actually create a recipe for the Havarti with my additions of fennel pollen and Saffron? I am truly honored if you did--if not, let me just add the following addendums:
Both fennel pollen and saffron are very strong additives that grow stronger in aging--be very non-aggresive as they will be too strong at 3 months to enjoy as a table cheese. I have used both in making arancini (risotto with a wedge of either cheese in the middle--coated with panko and deep-fried). Glorious!
Whitesage--I see you have goats! Since you already have the fennel pollen--mix it with some lavender and make a great soft chevre (be careful, as I got the idea from Cypress Grove (Purple Haze) and they may have a patent.)
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »
The cooler on the left has a clear glass front too, it was just the lighting that made it look that way (crummy photography LOL). The one on the right is prettier though, for sure.
I hope Santa brings you your cave...

Laurie

Nice little peek. I rather like the visibility of the one on the right.

I hope Santa brings me a new cave this Christmas. The one I have now is just about topped off.

-Boofer-
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com