Author Topic: Wanted, small vats, tables, and especially a small cheese press  (Read 3542 times)

Highfield

Wanted, small vats, tables, and especially a small cheese press
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
I am looking for small equipment for my operation.  I especially need a small cheese press that can press multiple kardova type molds using weights.  It must be made from an easily cleanable material, preferably stainless steel and cannot be made from wood as WI would never approve it.

terry@highfieldfarm.com

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Wanted, small vats, tables, and especially a small cheese press
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
Terry,

You should check out what I did here in Kentucky including a six station Dutch lever press. I also use pulleys to achieve a 25 to 1 mechanical advantage. Just 10 pounds gives 250 pounds at the ramrod. The levers could easily be made out of stainless instead of wood, but I wanted the old fashioned look.

Boone creek Creamery

My inspector initially said that they wouldn't approve my wooden gang press either, but there were 2 points that finally tipped the argument in my favor.

1- The ramrod is made of PVC and not wood

2- Most importantly. The ramrod has no direct contact with the cheese or the whey.

Carine

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:22 AM »
Terry-
This looks like a nice piece of machinery.  Is it possible to get a bigger picture of your press (more to the left)?  Do you have plans of this or know where to get them.
Thanks, Carine Goldin

Goldin Artisan Goat Cheese

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
I just saw this post today.  I'll try to take a picture of what we use at work.  I like Sailors presses better though, because he's getting a heck of a lot more pressing power.  However, maybe you could work a way to combine the two ideas.  Ours was custom made for us by a local steel guy.  You could probably find someone in your area to work on your contraption.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:16:04 AM »
Here's a pic of our press at work.  Unfortunately it wasn't being used, but you get the idea I think.  Put the molds in the frame and add weight to the top.  Again, I still like the Dutch style press better, maybe combine them somehow.