Author Topic: OlJarhead's Second Cheddar  (Read 10075 times)

OlJarhead

OlJarhead's Second Cheddar
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:01:52 AM »
OK so with lessons learned I thought it was time to try again.  I got out the recipe I wanted to use (the same one more or less -- see last cheese) but now understanding a little more (thanks to you all) I made some changes and got to work.

I warmed the milk slowly to 90 degrees, added the Annetto and Calcium Chloride and then added the culture.  I let the milk sit for 1 1/2 hours to ripen.

My first mistake here, I think, was that I did not make sure it remained 88-90 degrees during this phase and it dropped to about 70 in the center near the top.  I beleive this may be an error (help).

I then added the rennet (stirred about 2-3 minutes which I now beleive is too long after reading more here) and let the milk sit again.

Again I did not keep it at 90 degrees but left it at 70ish...was this a mistake?

After more then two hours I could not get a clean break though it was close.  I gave up, cut the curds and waited a little.

I then began to warm it up -- thinking it was not working well enough I added HOT water to the sink (using the sink bath method) and OOOPS!  It was at 100 in less then 5 minutes :(

Lesson:  stirring makes the cheese absorb the heat evenly so DO NOT add too hot a water to the bath.  Take it SLOW.

So I'm going to go ahead and continue to see what happens but know I've already goofed up pretty much.

Curds are cut and have sunk.

They look kinda right....thoughts?

Thanks!
Erik

OlJarhead

Re: OlJarhead's Second Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »
This is the original recipe that I settled on with some slight modifications I've made because of what I've read here or been told by Jim over at Cheesemaking.com.

I'd be happy to have any input to aid in my making this recipe work (because it is what I started with).

How to Make Sharp Cheddar Cheese
By Ann Wilson, eHow Contributor
Edited by Me (Erik)

Cheddar Cheese comes from England in a town called Cheddar. Cheddar Cheese is referred to as cheddar now, because of the unique cheddaring process of cheddar cheese. A rich nutty flavor with a semi-hard firm texture is the famous cheddar cheese. Cheddar Cheese is white in color, it is yellow from artificial coloring. The longer Cheddar is aged the sharper it is. This cheddar cheese recipe is slightly different, because it uses a stirring process rather than cutting the cheese into strips and draining them. Here's how to make your own homemade Sharp Cheddar Cheese while saving a couple of hours!
From Essentials: Cheeses

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

•   1 gallon of full cream milk
•   Calcium Chloride (for store bought milk)
•   Annetto coloring (if you want yellow/orange cheese)
•   1 oz. of mesophilic starter culture
•   1/4 tab of rennet
•   1 tablespoon of salt
•   double boiler (you can use a pot on the stove but be careful)
•   cheesecloth
•   colander/strainer
•   cheese Press

1.      Warm the milk to 88-90 F using a double boiler. Add Annetto (10 to 40 drops for 1 gallon of milk depending on desired color), add Calcium Chloride (1/8th tsp for 1 gallon), stir in and let sit for a few minutes.  Add 1oz. of mesophilic starter culture. Mix thoroughly with a whisk, the culture must be distributed evenly throughout the milk. Let the milk ripen for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. (keep milk at 88-90 F during the ripening).
   2.      Put the 1/4 tab of rennet into 3 to 4 tablespoons of cool water and let dissolve. Slowly pour the rennet into the milk. Stir constantly using the whisk. Stir for at least 5 minutes. (do not use chlorinated water).
   3.      Let the milk set for 1 to 2 hours. Once a firm curd is set and a clean break can be cut, take a long knife and cut the curds into 3/8 to ½ inch cubes. Allow the curds to set for 15 minutes.
   4.      Slowly raise the milk to 102 F by raising the temperature NO MORE than 2 degrees every 5 minutes (takes 30 to 45 minutes). While you wait, gently stir the curds occasionally so they do not mat together. Cook the curds at 102 F for another 45 minutes. Keep stirring the curds every few minutes so they do not mat.
   5.      Drain the whey by pouring through a cheesecloth lined colander. Do this quickly without letting the curds to mat.
   6.      Put the curds back into the boiler at 102 F. Separate any curds that have matted together. Cook the curds for 1 to 2 hours stirring occasionally (this is where you need to check the PH level of the curds – if you can’t then cook 1 hour for something closer to Colby and 2+ hours for something sharper and drier).
   7.      Add the tablespoon of salt in thirds and stir together.  Gently put the curds into your cheesecloth lined mold.
   8.      Press the cheese at about 20 lbs. for 45 minutes. Remove the cheese and flip it. Press the cheese again at about 40 lbs. for 3 hours. Remove the cheese and flip it. Press the cheese for the third time at about 50 lbs. for 24 hours.
   9.      Remove the cheese from the press. Place the cheese on a cheese board and let dry at 60-65 degrees and about 75-80% humidity for up to two weeks.  You need to see a nice rind develop at this stage.  Cracking indicates too dry an atmosphere and the cheese isn’t drying evenly.
  10.      Using a brine wash/sand off any mold that has developed on the cheese then Wax the cheese and age it at 54-55 degrees and 85% humidity for 3 to 36 months. Remember the longer the cheese is aged the sharper it will taste! Every few days flip the cheese.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:21:29 AM by OlJarhead »

OlJarhead

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:51:40 AM »

Despite my earlier errors I decided to continue with the recipe to see what would happen.  I cooked the cheese keeping it as close to 102 F as I could for one hour (I have no way of checking PH yet).

The curds seemed quite small but I felt they were strong just the same so drained the last of the whey and mixed in the salt (which I read here stops the culture by killing it -- though I thought the culture was needed to age the cheese too...hmmmm).

Then I stuffed it into the press and am pressing at about half the spring compression (so roughly 20 lbs) for 45 minutes.  I'll then crank it nearly all the way down after flipping the cheese and take a nice long nap (it is after 10pm after all)....then I'll flip it again and press it at 50lbs (full spring compression) for 24 hours making sure to keep the pressure on.

I plan to build a dutch press soon because I've already learned this type of press doesn't have what it takes for a cheddar.

Erik

OlJarhead

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »

After the second pressing.

I'm cranking down the press and will keep it pressed tight this time!

OlJarhead

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
It's about 8 hours since I flipped and reset the press on this cheese making it 45 minutes at about 20 lbs and close to 8 hours (ya I over slept) at about 40 lbs.  That's a total of 17 hours of pressing but only about 8 at a full 50lbs (or more).

Each time I go by the press I check it and if it isn't tight I give it a turn to make sure it's pressing down hard -- I hope this isn't overkill!

Can I over press?
Can I press too long?

Thanks
Erik

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
I have to say that your cheese after the second pressing looks pretty good.  I'm surprised because your curds were incredibly small, almost like cottage cheese.

That recipe has some challenges, for sure.  What method are you using (or not) to keep the milk and curd at temperature?  Your results will be different than if you maintained temperature, but not necessarily bad.  You might find that you like the resultant cheese and come up with a new method altogether.

Keep up the optimism and keep on trying.  This isn't an instant gratification hobby and you won't even know whether this is working for you for a couple of months down the road. 

OlJarhead

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:15:05 AM »
I have to say that your cheese after the second pressing looks pretty good.  I'm surprised because your curds were incredibly small, almost like cottage cheese.

That recipe has some challenges, for sure.  What method are you using (or not) to keep the milk and curd at temperature?  Your results will be different than if you maintained temperature, but not necessarily bad.  You might find that you like the resultant cheese and come up with a new method altogether.

Keep up the optimism and keep on trying.  This isn't an instant gratification hobby and you won't even know whether this is working for you for a couple of months down the road.

Thanks for the reply :)  I'm hoping I can either find another recipe that is proven by someone here (I did some searching and will do more but if someone knows right off of one I'm all ears -- or eyes in this case) ;) or that I can fix this recipe and make it actually work.

I was thinking that after the second pressing the cheese looked too grainy.  Or not well enough pressed.  So perhaps there is hope? :)  I'm keeping the press tight now and really hope that this cheese comes out better then the last which pressed much nicer right off but did not actually work in the end (crumbled apart).

As for keeping the milk warm/hot :(  I wasn't.  At least not until it was already cut and I was cooking the curds....lessons learned there I think.

I've tried two methods:

1.  On the stove with the stove on low and on and off when cooking.

2.  In the sink with hot water around the pot (worked too well and raised the temp too fast.  I'll work on that.

I plan to get a double boiler soon.
Erik

susanky

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:54:05 AM »
Erik,
Looks good!  I just made my second cheddar too.  I guess it will be awhile before I know how it went.  Of course you don't technically need a double boiler.  If you just have another pot bigger than then one you put milk in, instant double boiler.  I use an old canner for the water bath.  I keep a thermometer in both the water bath and the milk.  That way you know if your water is getting too hot.  If so, just trade some of the hot water for cool.  I have eventually learned how fast to heat it, and when to stop, to get it where I want it.
Susan

OlJarhead

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
Erik,
Looks good!  I just made my second cheddar too.  I guess it will be awhile before I know how it went.  Of course you don't technically need a double boiler.  If you just have another pot bigger than then one you put milk in, instant double boiler.  I use an old canner for the water bath.  I keep a thermometer in both the water bath and the milk.  That way you know if your water is getting too hot.  If so, just trade some of the hot water for cool.  I have eventually learned how fast to heat it, and when to stop, to get it where I want it.
Susan

Thanks Susan,

My biggest problem is getting a pot big enough to put one that will hold a gallon of milk also!  But my wife saw some HUGE ones at the sporting goods store today and commented on them :D  10 gallon pots!  So perhaps, just maybe, something a little more (not those ones though) useful is in my future ;)

However, the only issue I have now it slowly raising the temp but I think I might know how to do it -- turn on, watch temp, turn off, watch temp, turn on etc...that might work.

But I'll also try the water bath in the sink method perhaps by using just water.  Water in the sink and water in the pot -- if I stir the pot and monitor the temp I should be able to get it right.

I'll be ordering more supplies this week from Cheesemaking.com and will be getting a dairy thermometer (don't have one yet) and ph meter :)  That ought to help some!

Erik

OlJarhead

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:04 AM »

Impatient as usual  ::) I decided to flip my cheese while waiting for answers :P

It was quite wet on top so perhaps it wasn't a bad idea.  I redressed it and flipped it and set the press as hard as I could and will press all night.

A little darker but closer.

KosherBaker

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
The curds seemed quite small but I felt they were strong just the same so drained the last of the whey and mixed in the salt (which I read here stops the culture by killing it -- though I thought the culture was needed to age the cheese too...hmmmm).
There are many many different critters that are responsible for giving flavor to our cheese. Some are speedy and work over the short term some are slow and steady. Salt does not kill them, it simply slows them down to whatever rate a given cheese calls for. Same principle as in bread baking.
What brand and model of pH meter are you buying? There are some good discussions on that in the equipment forum.

OlJarhead

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
There are many many different critters that are responsible for giving flavor to our cheese. Some are speedy and work over the short term some are slow and steady. Salt does not kill them, it simply slows them down to whatever rate a given cheese calls for. Same principle as in bread baking.
What brand and model of pH meter are you buying? There are some good discussions on that in the equipment forum.

Hmm....just figured I'd get one from cheesemaking.com......no?

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:08 AM »
The nice thing about using a sink as a hot water bath for your kettle of milk is that if it is heating up too quickly, you can just drain out some of the hot water and add a bit of cool.  It is something that you do have to watch, though, until you get used to how quickly milk warms or cools.

If you are making just a 1 gallon batch, though, the temperature fluctuations are going to be quite quick.

dthelmers

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »
The nice thing about using a sink as a hot water bath for your kettle of milk is that if it is heating up too quickly, you can just drain out some of the hot water and add a bit of cool.  It is something that you do have to watch, though, until you get used to how quickly milk warms or cools.

If you are making just a 1 gallon batch, though, the temperature fluctuations are going to be quite quick.

I'll second that.  I started with 1 gallon batches, and am now using 4 gallon batches, and temp control is so much easier!

OlJarhead

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »

My 2nd cheese after a week of ripening.  NO CRACKS! :D

Funny thing is this cheese pretty much was done all wrong!  Guess there is hope yet huh?

So I'm thinking that I need a better press but also have a question:  how big should cheddar curds be?  I cut at about 1/2" but am wondering if I should cut them larger since I always end up with cottage cheese sized curds.

or is this because of the milk I'm using?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:55:50 PM by OlJarhead »